+ Reply to Thread

Thread: weight issues in my daughter

weight issues in my daughter

My child is just 9 years old but is very conscious about her weight. she fears putting on weight so tries to minimize her intake. I think she is too small to have weight concerns and moreover she is not the heavier side also.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: weight issues in my daughter

Dear Concerned Mom,

Are you serious! What is wrong with kids nowadays.
    You need to seriously do something about this.

Start complementing her on some or the other feature as much as possible. Something like, that yellow colour really stands out beautifully against your skin or those shorts look amazing on you...you should wear shorts more often..

Maybe say something like you're lucky i fed you so many mangoes when you were young, otherwise your skin wouldn't have looked so healthy and glowing. Slowly bolster her self-esteem.

The fact that she is conscious about her weight is not a bad thing..maybe slowly you can convert that to being conscious about her health instead. They must be teaching about balanced diet in her school, na. go through that chapter with her, and explain that that is the reason why you have added milk in her diet for breakfast, and salad in her lunch, etc etc.

Doing things like this will make sure that she is always eating healthy and does not become a victim of crash and unhealthy diets

now kids are very image conscious and this may be due to different reality shows featuring kids. Your kid is small but still has weight concerns. you can point out the positive and negative aspects of having weight concerns. Explain that this is the time for eating good nutritious food and by doing this she will be having healthy weight

Hello, weight issues in children have always been a problem for the parents. It is important that you plan a diet schedule for your child. Make sure that your child has plenty of fruits, vegetables in their regular diet. If you feel the issue is serious then you can also visit a dietician or a proper paediatrician who can ensure your child’s diet is proper and balanced. It is more confusing for the parents who have skinny kids and are not sure what exactly to give them. They should also have a proper diet but try to eat more than normally what they have. They are thin does not mean than they can eat whatever they want.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Weight gains is a difficult task for the parents who have skinny children. It is advisable that you avoid giving your child sugar-sweetened beverages and instead you can give them drinks which are fresh like fruit juices, lime juice, fruit punches, energy drinks, water, buttermilk and many other options which are healthier than cold drinks and sodas. The intake of fluids can help in release the toxins from the body helping in proper growth of the child. Flavoured milk and iced tea can be a good option if your child is bored of drinking plain milk.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Remember children always look up to their parents and other family members as their role model and try to follow them. So unless and until you don’t start eating healthy do not expect your child to start eating all of a sudden when you serve him. Make a point that everybody in the family eats healthy. Try to eat meals, snacks together as a family so that your child can also learn eating habits. Make sure that the TV is off and the kid is completely concentrating on his or her food. I hope this tips will help you and your child.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I have been through this problem and it was really hard to gain my daughters weight. I asked few of my friends and they suggested me that I avoid giving only three meals to my child and increase them to six with each in a reasonable portion. I also made sure that my child was not distracted by any games or TV while she had her food. I also had food along with her to make sure she ate properly. I also suggest parents that they tell their children to eat slowly and chew everything properly.

Dhwani Singh's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Remember over-feeding your children is also not good. If they start feeling full do not force them to eat unnecessarily, they might end-up having a stomach ache or might also feel nauseous. Please never try to force feed your child, it is okay if she does not finish her food completely and forcefully feeding them when they are not hungry is also not required. Remember eating healthy is more important than how much she eats. When she has had all the nutrients required it will not make a difference in the quantity had. I hope this can be helpful for you as these techniques worked with my child.

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The most common mistakes parents do is offer food as reward or use it as a comfort to calm or pacify their children which is absolutely wrong and should not be done. I highly recommend to avoid giving deserts as a reward to the children for finishing their meal. If this is done they will not understand the importance of healthy food. They will consider sweets to be more important than the food. It is important that they spend their time doing physical activities so that their body has some exercise and remains fit. There are some weight gaining exercises which can also be done by consulting a health care provider.