+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Food Dilemma (HELP)

Food Dilemma (HELP)

Hi,

I stay in Singapore. My son is 8yr old. He studies in a neighbourhood primary school. My husband is a Tamil Brahmin and I am not Brahmin. We have decided that our son would be brought up as a Brahmin too. I have never introduced non vege food to him from birth till now. However, after joining Primary School he seems to have venture out. He is eager to try non vege food. And he did a few times. I have told him that he has to follow his father's caste. I don't not cook non vege food at home at all. How do I make him understand or teach him to refrain from eating non vege food at school? I am in a great dilemma. Pls help. Thanks.

This is a classic case of what happens when East meets West. As kids interact with other kids, they tend to have different view points and even change in food habits. You should have explained your son about your religious beliefs and other customs earlier as this would have made him wise in his food preferences. But better late than never, you should explain him in a clam and relaxed manner about why non-veg food is a strict no-no in your house and why he should avoid it. It might seem difficult for him initially but he will be able to accept it and abide by it gradually.

Never scold him as then he would start hiding things from you. It is better to speak to him as a friend and only when he is relaxed. Try to answer all the queries that he asks so that he gets a clear picture of the things.

Hi,

Don't worry. Your kid is just 8 years old and he is bound to be influenced by his peers which at this stage is normal. What you must do is to to guide him. He needs to know what is right and what wrong so you must explain him in detail about the customs and other religious aspects so that he is well aware. At this stage, it is easier for you to mould him but he needs to be given a proper explanation to counter his curiosity. I am sure you will find luck.