+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Baby Care Tips for First Time Parents

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Baby Care Tips for First Time Parents

How to take care of a newborn baby? What are the essentials of a baby care regimen? How to find out if a newborn baby is well nourished?

My friend has just become a new mother and she is finding it difficult to take care of her newborn. The newborn is always crying even after a feed. The doctor advised her to ignore this as it is a minor issue. I know that it is very difficult to take care of a newborn especially if it is a first born. I have advised her to take help from some elder women in her family. Till then I would like to help her. I just know the basics such as a newborn needs a massage and the umbilical cord needs extra care or else it could lead to infection. The clothes of the baby should be sun dried so as to kill the germs and also washed in antiseptic solution. Can anyone help me with more tips?

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The basics of newborn care is nutrition and hygiene. It is important to breastfeed the newborn exclusively for first few months. If you are working, then breastmilk can be expressed and stored and given to the baby. The umbilical cord needs to be cleaned every day frequently and kept dry as it is prone to infection.
    Daily bathing the newborn is not needed. Baby can bathed once in two-three days. Sponge bath with warm water can also be given instead of a bath.
    Newborns do have a chance of getting jaundice so look out for the signs so that early treatment can be given.
    Newborn sleep for longer duration so it is good to let them sleep as much as they want.
    Last but not least, newborns need to be kept warm as their thermo-regulatory system is not developed fully. They need not be covered or wrapped up but care should be taken to keep them warm.

The nine months of pregnancy is over and finally you have your little one on your lap. If your are a new mother then lots of queries will be just moving around your head and you want to give best to your baby.

Let your newborn get plenty of rest which helps them to grow healthy. Breastfeed your baby at-least for 6 months so that the newborn get enough nutrition. You can nurse 8-12 times a day and burp every-time you feed. If the baby wets the diaper 6-8 times a day, then its sign that the baby is getting enough food. If the mother does not produce enough supply of milk then don't get stress out, you can feed formula milk to your baby. Buy a suitable feeding bottle by referring this buying guide: http://www.firstcry.com/buying-guides/feeding-bottle

Sterilize new bottles before and after use and discard the left out formula.

Make sure to keep check on the newborn diaper and change it at defined interval. Use diaper rash cream in case of diaper rash. Be careful while bathing the newborn. Take proper care of newborn's umbilical cord stump, keep it clean and dry to avoid infection. Keep an eye out for signs colic and jaundice and visit to the doctor in-case you observe anything abnormal. Learn the trick of soothe a crying baby and seek help from your elders and relatives.
    Last edited by Meenakshi Nair; 24-08-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Taking care of a baby is one of the most challenging tasks faced by parents and especially the first few months are the most difficult ones because it's a kind of experience that you never had before,so dont get demotivated and nervous.Take advice from mothers who had already faced this phase before like your mom&sister, dont feel shy to ask them any questions related to babies.

The basic care of new born baby is hygine, new born baby required so much hygine because they are new born and they can easily get infected from any small thing like if we not wash hand with sanitizer then can be infected, so much use sanitizer, second thing is when baby get enough feeding, they get proper sleep, and they use 5 to 6 diapers a day, when baby try for first milk feeding, baby not able to feed themself, so just keep patience and try to feed in proper way. Also mother should take healthy diet as she have to keep in mind now she give birth to baby now.

The most important thing for the mother and the baby is Hygiene. It needs to be taken care of since the baby is born. I think once the baby is born most of the people pay attention to take care of baby but mother's care is equally important. According to me the second thing which we generally avoid is proper sleep. It is equally important for a baby as well as mother to have a good sleep.