+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guru Purnima

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Guru Purnima

What is the importance of Guru Purnima? Why is Guru Purnima observed? How is Guru Purnima celebrated?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 10-09-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Now teachers are not given the respect that we used to give. for us, they were God. On guru purnima, we used to sing songs in praise of Guru during assembly. We used to give them something home made or just simple flowers. It was quite simple in those days unlike today, where everything is commercialized. The feeling is not the same the same any more. I miss the good old days and the respect that was given to the teachers.

Guru Purnima has not much of a relevance for today's generation but in earlier times, it was the most revered occasion. Guru refers to teacher or a guide and any teacher was equated with God as they show the right path. So teachers were worshipped just like Gods. Now-a-days, this system can still be seen in music and dance schools.

I am a retired teacher and I relate very well to the difference in thinking between generations. During my times students used to take our blessings by touching our feet. They used to revere us. A guru's word was like a dictum for them. I feel that we need to instill these values in our kids. We should be proud of our culture and only then we can progress.