+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Parenting in Public

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Parenting in Public

Does your child throw tantrums in public? Have you ever had an embarrassing moment because of your child’s behaviour? How would you control your child?
    To read the related article, click here.

My nephew has become a very big brat. My sister-in-law is at her wit's end. Whenever she tries to discipline or scold him. he runs away to his grand parents who dont allow her to tell him anything. It is now so embarrassing to take him out! What to do!

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello, I have seen children who act in public embarrassing their parents. Some children have a habit of doing it purposely. They find it interesting to scream and make a kayos in front of everyone. They just force you to take such actions which you would never want to take in public places. They might do it purposely and have you embarrassed because you might have denied for something they wanted or you may have snapped back at them. It is important for you to treat your children by setting some limits and not let them behave the way they want.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I have been through this situation and I completely understand how it feels when children start behaving weird in public places. We had a family dinner in a restaurant and my four year started acting up in the restaurant. He started moving here and there, pulling the chairs and throwing the spoons and forks kept around. I tried to make him sit at one place but he did not and even tried feeding him when food arrived but he did not want to eat, but wanted to have what the other boy on the next table was eating. Later he throws a full tantrum and shouting and scolding does not work at all.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    It is very embarrassing when your child is acting up in public places and all the eyes are on you. Do not worry and care about all these things as every parent undergoes from such situations. There are rarely very few children you might find who are really quiet and sincere and who listen to their parents, buts majority of them fall in the acting up case. You try your hardest to try to control your child but it is hard to control. Finally you end up leaving the place and you might notice that your child has stopped crying.

I personally feel the best idea is to ignore whatever your child is doing to seek attention from you. It is obvious that he or she acts up just to gain your attention because they want something or like something and you deny to give it to them. That is the reason they start throwing tantrums so that you could buy them what they want. But if you just ignore it and let him do things at one point he will stop doing it until he or she is distracted by something else. This idea can work you can surely try it if you want.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I have seen parents reacting in two ways when their children start screaming or shouting. They either get annoyed and shout at the child or they just fulfil what they child wants just to shut up the child before he embarrasses them more in the public. I think both of these ways are wrong according to me as if you shout at your child next time they will act up more and make you more irritated. If you give up easily then your child will use the same tricks every time to get what he wants which is not good.

You should decide how you treat your child as you know your child completely in and out. You should plan all your outings taking in consideration all of your child’s habits and tantrums. You know your child’s schedule and also his behaviour when he is cranky or upset, when he is in good mood. If you suddenly plan to go to the mall with family and your child has had an incomplete nap he will surely act up and irritate you as he is not feeling fresh. Similarly if he is restless do not take him anywhere he might get fussy and annoyed.

Riya Jain's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    It is necessary that you remind your child what are his limitations and how he should behave in the public. You can prepare him or her earlier itself and let him know what is expected from him. If you are going to a mall, you can tell him that he won’t get unnecessary toys which he already has but he can ask for something good which will be useful for him. If you go at a park you should let him know that he has to be patient as there will be crowd and rush and everybody wants to have fun. Always try to compliment his good behaviour.