+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Food for 1 year old baby

Question Food for 1 year old baby

Hi,

My baby recently turned up 1 year. However, he cries a lot to eat. Right now, i am feeding different flavors of cerelac (baby food available in market) and milk. Before he was 1 year, i used to prepare his lunch with rice, palak, carrot and dal. Now, hes not eating that also. I am not knowing whatelse to try apart from cerelac and milk. Added, he doesnt eat in sitting position, i place him on my lap and feed and he hardly eats three spoons of cerelac, so every 2 hours i feed him.

Hi Lalitha,

Mostly one year olds are fussy eaters and can take a lot of patience and different strategies for feeding. You should again start giving your baby home made food. It is not only healthy but has different textures that will help your baby to enjoy food. You have to find different strategies to feed your baby. Giving cerelac once in a while is okay but now you should prefer home made food. This will develop a habit. Try to prepare food as per your baby's preferences as then he will less likely to reject.

Always try to feed your baby in a sitting position as then he will be able to enjoy the food. You can also let him feed himself, though it would be messy.

Hi,

I agree with Preeti. You should never feed your baby in a lying down position. As you said that your baby is a year old, so he is old enough to have everything. You should encourage him by giving him a variety of food. Never force feed him or else this will be a habit. Try to make food interesting for him. Let him play and eat whatever he likes. Encourage when he tries to self feed. This will encourage him to eat on his won and gradually he will be fond of eating on own. You can feed him near a window as I have seen this method works best for most babies. Keep on talking to him and feed small quantities. Describe what is there outside the window. Hope this will work for you and your baby.