+ Reply to Thread

Thread: confused about due date

confused about due date

I am 34 weeks pregnant. Recently i had an ultrasound scan that showed that the foetus is slightly smaller tan normal. i had a scan earlier in 8 weeks and then also the doctor had told that baby was smaller. Now I am worried that as my baby is smaller than normal, so will this affect the due date. As per latest scans due date will be postponed. Which scan should i consider for due date calculation?

due date confusion

Due date does not change with time of scanning. Your baby might be smaller but that does not mean that due date will be postponed. The date calculated earlier will be valid now also. Best of luck and do not worry.

due date calculation

You should always use the result of a scan that is done earlier on in pregnancy for 'dating' purposes as it will be more accurate. In the later part of pregnancy the measurements will be affected by growth variations and will no longer reflect the fetal age correctly.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Due date calculation

you have a smaller than average baby as indicated by the findings. It is incorrect logic to think that babies who are not growing well should be left inside the womb for a longer period of time. The baby may be better off outside than in and for this reason we sometimes have to deliver these babies well before the actual due date.Actual due date calculated earlier is correct

It is very confusing to know the due date of your pregnancy. The difference between your calculated weeks of pregnancy and the conception date is the explanation of this. This can be better explained with the information of your menstrual cycle.

Hi all the pregnancy due date is calculated on the basis of the average menstrual cycle which lasts up to 28 days. The first day of the menstrual bleeding is considered as the first day of the menstrual cycle and is called as LMP meaning last menstrual period.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello in the first few days of the cycle, the menstrual bleeding occurs when then uterus sloughs the lining which is created in the previous cycle. Later the uterus lining grows again in preparation for conception.

Ovulation occurs two weeks later in the cycle, few days after and before this you are most fertile. If during this time intercourse is had fertilization can take place. After fertilization there is no menstrual bleeding.

Riya Jain's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    If there is no fertilization then the endometrium disintegrates and the menstrual bleeding starts again starting new cycle. The weeks of the pregnancy is calculated from those two weeks and from the LMP to the date of the ovulation and conception. The first day of your LMP is the easiest to record.

Hi from the first day of the LMP cycle the start of the menstrual cycle and pregnancy is measured. Halfway through the average menstrual cycle she ovulates and then conceives. The date of conception and ovulation should be matched or almost same.

Sneha Rathod's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi if your embryo is four weeks old that means you are six months pregnant. This may sound odd to some of them. But this is the way it should be calculated and noted that way.

It is important to know that in the first two weeks of your pregnancy you are really not pregnant. The final due date is calculated as 40 weeks from the LMP. The due date is also called EDD or EDC. The baby is 38 week old when it is born not 40 weeks.