+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rawa (semolina) upma recipe

Rawa (semolina) upma recipe

How to make vegetable rawa (semolina) upma? Can someone share the recipe here? I want to make it for my mom’s birthday so can’t ask her...Thanks!

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Vegetable upma is very easy to make. It's a very nice idea to surprise your mom with this. Upma is a very healthy and filling item; great for breakfast. Even I don't know the perfect recipe with measurements but I know the ingredients needed for making it. Vegetables such as beans, cauliflower, peas and potatoes are needed.

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi,
    This is the complete recipe of veg upma.
    Ingredients:
    Suji - 200 gms
    Onion- 1
    Potato- 1
    Capsicum- 1
    Tomato - 1 (optional)
    Carrot- 1
    Salt- to taste
    Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
    Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
    Curry leaves - 4-5 leaves
    Green chilies- 4-5
    Ginger - very small piece
    Red chilies(whole) - 2-3
    Oil- 50-100ml
    Chana dal-12/tsp
    Urad dal-1/2tsp

Method:
    Take the oil in a pan and once the oil is hot add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped green chilies, chopped ginger, whole red chilies, chana dal and urad dal. Add curry leaves and stir the mixture. Add chopped onions, diced potato, diced tomato, diced carrot and capsicum pieces to it and stir well. Add salt to taste followed by 250ml of water. Put
    a lid on it and allow the vegetables to cook.

Roast the suji for two minutes. Once the veggies are cooked, see if you need more water. If you feel a little bit of water would be required, then add some water to the vegetable gravy and bring it to near boil. Then add the roasted suji. This is where the art lies. Do
    not pour the suji at one go. Just keep on adding little quantities and simultaneously stir the contents so that the rawa or the suji mixes evenly.

Let the rawa cook for five minutes on a low flame. After that, transfer the contents onto a bowl and serve it hot.

Do try it and let me know how it was.

I am sure that if you use butterfly pea flower for it then the taste would be a lot better. This is the secret ingredient for a lot of these big restaurants who make this.