+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is tuition or coaching classes a necessity

Is tuition or coaching classes a necessity

It seems like tuition and coaching classes have become more like a fashion statement. Everybody is sending the kids to some classes or the other. Education has become commercialized. I do not want to send my kids to tuition as I feel that I can help them in their studies. Am I doing the right thing? My friend says that my kids might be missing out the good things. Am confused, need parenting tips.

After 10 years in the education industry and then next 2 years as an cognitive skills training. I have realized that tuition and/or coaching are a complete waste of time and money.For those who are disagree, before writing me off I would suggest you read the whole comment.

If in a class of 30-40 students, even if 1 student understands what is being taught, logically, there should be no reason why the others should not understand. Yet, the reality is that there is a huge portion of the class that doesn't understand, while on the other hand some hand-picked students do. These students that do not understand in class then prefer taking tuitions and/or coaching.

But isnt this treating the symptom rather than the cause?

There was something that was causing some students not to understand whereas the others did. Tuitions might just at the most reinforce what was taught in class. Some students might just cram up things to get rid of it. This then not only increases stress levels of these students can also leads to other emotional disorders such as depression, low self esteem and low self confidence, etc.

As my tenure as a cognitive skill trainer I noticed that a weak cognitive skill was the root cause. In almost all the cases, if these skills were developed these students not only started excelling in school without any tuitions but also became confident young teenagers.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 11-04-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Hi Ruchi,

While i agree with you that tuition classes are a waste for most students who are just spoilt into believing that they don't need to pay too much attention in class as they have tuition teachers, that is not the case with some.

Lets face it, Indian education system is not something to be proud about. But, then too, kids should learn to pay attention in class which they dont because they are used to tutiions holding their hands thru it all. There are however other kids who really do need tuitions as they need the personal attention because they are a little slow in grasping some stuff. that doesnt make them slow in general, just slow in somethins. In cases like this , dont u think that tuitions or coaching may help them grasp the concepts betteR?

if you dont mind, could you explain what exactly is cognitive skills training?

- A.B.

As a parent, You are the best to decide. If you can help your kids in their studies, then there is no need for tuitions. Tuition becomes a necessity when kids are unable to understand subjects or have difficulty in comprehending the basics. So I would suggest that you are the best guide for your kids.

Yes Parents are the best guide for children. Many parents opt for tuition and coaching classes cos they either do not have time for the kids or they cannot help them in their studies. If you have confidence to be able to help your kids, then do not go for tuition.

Tuition and coaching classes are a waste of time especially in lower classes but they are best if the kid is in 10th or 12th as they help in preparing for the competitive exams. They can prepare a child thoroughly for competitive exams as they know the patterns.

Hi according to me every child has a different capability of learning and studying. All children are different from each other. Sending your child for a tuition should be a mere question if he needs it or not. Some families are rich enough to afford a tuition but not all can afford that. People who cannot afford tuitions have a habit of self-learning. I feel tuitions are not so necessary if the teaching in school is proper. When a child is taught in school that is more than enough for him to learn. These tuitions have been an unnecessary requirement forced on children to increase their workload.

Sneha Rathod's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Now-a-days all the schools and the education system has stepped up their levels academically. They have a good staff of teachers who are well educated and trained properly to teach children in school. All the teachers today are helpful enough to help the children if they are facing any kind of difficulty academically or personally. I personally think that if teachers are so helpful and if children are studying properly in the school then there is no requirement of tuitions to add up load on them. I feel these tuitions are just a waste of time and instead the child can repeat at home whatever he learnt in the school that day.

Hello, in my opinion some of the students need those tuition classes as they cannot always follow what the teacher has taught in the school. I am not saying every child needs to attend the tuitions but some of them do. There are at times when the child does not understand something which her teacher taught in school and there is a possibility that she might understand it when she attends her tuitions. This is a way to improve their knowledge and we as parents should always support them and motivate them to do the right things.

In my opinion I guess sending a child for tuition classes or not depends on the child. Each child is different and has different capabilities. Grasping power of every child is different some may understand in school but some may not. Sending children for tuitions is of no harm. If you feel your child is lagging behind and needs a bit of push-up then you should send him to the classes for his betterment. Tuition serves as a good opportunity for such children and help them cope up with others. Sending tuitions is dependent on the child.

Hi, the teaching pattern varies from school to school. In some schools the teachers do not believe in giving home works and assignments to do at home. Some teachers give assignments and home work so that the children can go and study what she has taught once again and brush up through it every day. Hence the requirement of tuitions was not felt as there is a daily revision of what has been taught. It also depends on the children if they like going to tuitions or not. You cannot force them to go and learn over there, it will never work.

I feel these tuitions have now become a kind of fashion or a trend. Education is out of the system and it’s more about earning more and more money without being cared about the children and their studies. People more often compete with each other that when one sends his child over such a tuition then even I should send and the feelings of the child are least bothered about.The more money you pay for the tuitions the more they are sophisticated. If you join a simple tuition class then you are out of their league and a lot of comparison it ruining the child’s future.

Hi all, according to my opinion a tuition is good for a child. Going to a tuition is healthy for a child and it helps to refresh the child what he learnt in the school. It makes it easier for the child to remember things of he has a good revision in his tuition classes. Reading a book twice will help him understand things better and have clear thoughts of what is taught. A child should never be overloaded with homework as it might lead to stress and anxiety. Tuitions should be made fun so that the children enjoy learning there equally as much as they enjoy learning in school.

Hey, these tuitions are mostly for the children who fall behind and cannot cope up in the class. Tuition is like an extra class and not all go for it. Tuition is good for the children however too much of tuitions in one day are not that good as well. Children start losing interest and get bored of same repetitive things and extended time makes them feel like a prisoner and being captured in one place forcefully. They should not be stressed and overloaded with homework and they should not feel the burden. It is important that the tuitions have a flexible time and the teaching process is more fun so that they enjoy it and not sulk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneha Rathod
    Now-a-days all the schools and the education system has stepped up their levels academically. They have a good staff of teachers who are well educated and trained properly to teach children in school. All the teachers today are helpful enough to help the children if they are facing any kind of difficulty academically or personally. I personally think that if teachers are so helpful and if children are studying properly in the school then there is no requirement of tuitions to add up load on them. I feel these tuitions are just a waste of time and instead the child can repeat at home whatever he learnt in the school that day.
    Sorry to say but I do not agree. In my local area a state board school actually invited parents to substitute as teachers because they could not get teachers "within their budget" and many of the teachers had left in search of better prospects. This is indeed a sad situation.

Smile

Hello Everyone!

I would like to introduce myself as a study skill trainer. I help improve study skills such as reading, comprehension, calculation, and writing.

Whether or not a child needs tuition depends on his or her capability and the ability of the parents to provide academic instruction in addition to school work.
    If the parents are unable to do this - no matter the reason - the child will need tuition.

That said, if a parent can teach the child that is what he / she should do.

Hope you all will agree.

It sounds to me like absolutely anyone needs training in 2022. Whether it's learning through tutors or online learning. It also depends on the field you want to study. Let's say you like medicine and you want to work as a doctor, or you want to do science in general. You will most likely need to take the GAMSAT test, which you can prepare for thanks to https://www.medicmind.co.uk/gamsat-online-course/ . Every student who has taken this test knows that it is quite difficult to pass on your own and without a tutor. But, nothing in this life is impossible. I wish you all the best of luck and a good day.

Is the self-leadership course even worth it? Especially when you consider the fact that it's worth $895. Why shouldn't I just go for leadership training singapore? All in all, it just feels like a rip-off.
    Last edited by Carter Carter; 13-07-2022 at 08:17 PM.