+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 10 Things Which Kids Hide from Parents

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Top 10 Things Which Kids Hide from Parents

Why do children keep secrets from parents? What do children hide from parents? How to prevent kids from keeping secrets from parents?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 31-07-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Children do keep some secrets from their parents though they may be open for most of the time. This is due to the fear factor. They fear that their parents might scold them or get hurt if they told the truth. When children commit a mistake, they have an inherent fear and thus avoid telling the truth to their parents. The fear of punishment also keeps them away from telling the truth. to avoid this, it is better to be loving and caring with the children.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Most kids hide their mistakes from their parents. I remember I was quite scared of my parents. When I got low grades in my school, I used to hide them till the end but ultimately I had to show it to them as I had to get it signed. I used to get such a scolding that this fear grew in my mind. I also used to hide the fact that I had broken or damaged something. I used to fear the punishment more than the scolding.

Secrets can be prevented by opening up the channel of communication between you and your child. An open communication strengthens the bonds and the child feels more loved. You have to talk to him or her about the right and the wrong. Instead of scolding or giving harsh punishments, it is better to make him or her understand the mistake. You need to be there for him or her.

yes u r right mam

Almost all the kids have a habit of hiding things from their parents it not only your child over here. Even I have been through this where my child used to hide things from me just by the fear that I would shout at him or scold him if he told me the truth. Hiding things also depends on their ages, according to it they might hide different things. I think parents should be aware of the things which their children are hiding from them and should also know the reason why they hide things from them.

There are various reason why the children might be hiding from you. One of the can be that they have not completed their homework. It is a known fact that kids hate doing their homework and they hide their homework from you so that they don’t have to do it and can enjoy a bit more. They may admit that they had homework after they are punished in the school or have a remark from the school in their diary which is to be signed by you. It is your duty as parents to check the books so that if he or she has a pending homework you can get it done so that your child doesn’t have to take the unnecessary punishment.

This is the most common thing I have seen in children which they hide from their parents. After the exams children receive their test papers or the result. When children do not get good marks they tend to hide their answer sheets and the result card from their parents so that you cannot see it and they do not get negative replies from you. They are also scared that they may fail to catch up to your expectations so they hide it. It is your responsibility to keep a track of the result when they get it and ask for it. Do not shout at the children if they get less marks, encourage them to do better next time.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, my child is very naughty and keeps running around the house all the time. Once he broke a vase which was very expensive brought by his daddy from foreign. He got scared that he if daddy comes home and finds out that the vase is broken he will get a good punishment. In this fear he hid the vase somewhere and did not tell anyone about it. Later on I realised that the vase was missing so I asked him he said I don’t know about it. I found the broken vase in his room hidden and then confronted him, he denied but later on accepted. I did not shout at him but just calmly said him to say the truth from next time and be careful, this affected him and changed his behaviour.

There are some children who get bullied in school or other classes but the children do not tell their parents and hide it from them. This is because they feel that once their parents know either they will shout at him or scared of the fact that they will complain to the teacher and everyone will know about it. He might be feeling threatened and therefore not tell you also. His behaviour might change but you must understand it if you have a communication with your child every day. Support your child and let him know you have his back.