+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Top 10 Foods for Boosting Child’s Immunity

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Top 10 Foods for Boosting Child’s Immunity

Which foods can help children to develop strong immune system? How to include foods which help to boost immunity in child’s diet? What to do if child is not eating properly?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 31-07-2014 at 04:53 PM.

The general thumb rule is that the more the real foods you give, the more immunity the child shall develop...and remeber children develop immunity only by getting frequent cold and cough...so dont panic everytime your child gets a cold or cough...
    some immunity-boosting foods which i know
    1. ghee(home-made organic one from cow's milk)
    2. butter(same as ghee)
    3. nuts(almonds,pista,cashew,walnut,raisins)
    4. all legumes
    5. jaggery(rich in iron,magnesium)
    6. all small millets(ragi,kambu,varagu,saamai,kuthiraivaali,the nai)- I have listed names in tamil. To find out the names in other languages, just type these words and write your language in google. for example to know what is raagi in hindi , type "raagi in hindi" in google.you will get the name. include all small millets in whatever form you can.there are yummy recipes available on net out of these millets. I personally follow www.padhuskitchen.com for all millet recipes...believe me your kids will love them and they are far more nutritious than the processed foods like pediasure,complan etc etc/...
    7. gooseberry in any form boosts immunity since it contains vitamin-c. You can also give strawberries,oranges,plums,guava etc which are all rich in vitamin-c. But any canned juice with these flavors will do no good only harm by giving all hidden sugars...
    8. Try to use farm-fresh oils like sesame oil, mustard oil, coconut oil etc for cooking rather than the refined oils which contain lot of adulteration. recently i read that branded coconut oils are adulterated with petroleum by-products....please beware....

If given right nutrition from an early age, immune system in kids is easy to boost. Right nutrition refers to lots of fresh fruits and vegetables such as dark coloured ones. Chyawanprash should also be given as it has many health and immunity boosting herbs. Amla in any form is good for boosting immunity. Ragi, bajra and such cereals are also good for health. So basically kids should be given fresh and copmplex foods to boost immunity. An egg a day for non-vegetarians is a good choice.

Including health boosting foods in kid's diet is a challenge. You could introduce healthy foods by using innovative presentation techniques. Making cute faces out of food makes them interesting for children and they readily take it in. Incorporate veggies in form of tasty fries or adding sauces to make simple veggies tastier.