+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buffet style Dining

Post Buffet style Dining

Is buffet style dining considered inelegant? My daughter’s future in-laws will be visiting us next month, and i want to present my family in the most elegant way possible. We are going to be 20 people.. so obviously, a buffet style would be the most efficient way of serving dinner but I am not sure if it is considered inelegant. If it is not a very high-fi style of serving dinner, then I am contemplating between first having the men sit for dinner, followed by the women, or by borrowing someone else’s dining table to make a longer table so that we can all sit together. What is better???? Someone please advise soon! Thanks!

Hi

Buffet-style dining isnt considered to be inelegant at all! If it were, why would it be so popularly found in weddings/receptions/corporate dinners?
    Buffet dining is actually a very smart idea for a group of 20 people.

Have to agree ^

Buffets are ideal for a large group of people. That way, your guests are free to eat what they like, in whatever quantity and combination they want. There is no added formality of being served and having to finish everything on your plate.

Prefer a sit-down

I personally prefer a Sit-down meal as opposed to a buffet for a family occasion. You are all seated at the same table, and the flow of conversation is just easier. Just make sure that you have enough wait-staff so you dont have to personally keep running to and fro from the kitchen to serve your guests. Incase you dont have any help, then buffet is the better option.

There is nothing informal about a buffet - you should opt for it purely out of convenience/practicality.
    Making the men eat first, and following it with women and children will add an unnecessary segregation to the party. Let everyone eat at the same time, the women and children have done nothing wrong to have to wait for food!

Definitely a buffet. There is more variety, and family occassions shouldnt be formal. You would rather have your guests at ease and enjoying themselves, as opposed to a stuffy formal sit down dinner with awkward conversation, right?