+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What food to eat to get rid of lethargy?

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

What food to eat to get rid of lethargy?

Hi,
    I have been trying to diet since 3 years and it has not helped me because I am addicted to sweets. Of late, I have noticed that I am very lethargic and do not have any energy. I started crying easily and I get angry also very fast. It is obvious to me that this is because my body is not getting enough nutrition. Can someone suggest vegetarian healthy foods that I should add to my daily diet to ensure that I get my strength and energy back? Much appreciated! Thanks!

Skip white flour and its products

Avoid white flour and its products.
    Foods such as white bread, white pasta and rice are rated high on the glycemic index (GI). When these types of food are eaten in abundance and often, they tend to elicit a state of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Symptoms of hypoglycemia include fatigue, moodiness and mental lethargy. Selecting lower GI grains such as whole grains that have not been refined (e.g. 100 per cent whole wheat), sweet potatoes and brown rice will help to keep your energy up and weight down. As a general rule, check the nutrition facts label -- a good bread will contain 2 to 3 grams of fibre per slice.

Drink green tea

Green tea is natures gift to mankind - not only is it packed with anti-oxidants, but it packs a good dose of caffeine. So, if youre looking to replace coffee with something-this is it. It gives you the energy required to combat lethargy.

Eat sufficient protein

Eating the right amount of protein helps to balance blood sugar, which in turn avoids energy fluctuations. Optimal sources of protein are those that are lower in saturated fat, such as low-fat dairy products (yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat cheese), chicken, fish, soy products (for the vegetarians), lentils, beans and egg whites.

Omega 3 fatty acids

Fuel and recharge your brain with omega-3 fatty acids. Found in fatty fish (such as tuna and salmon), and walnuts, these essential fatty acids play a role in keeping brain cells healthy and helping you feel mentally alert. Another potential bonus: Omega-3s encourage the body to store carbs as glycogen — the storage form of glucose (blood sugar) and the body's main source of stored fuel — rather than as fat. Thus, healthy and perky! Problem solved

Tips

Drink plenty of water because a dehydrated body functions less efficiently, thus leading to lethargy.
    Also, be careful with your caffeine intake – one or two caffeinated drinks per day boosts energy and mental alertness. However, heavy caffeine users (more than six drinks per day) are prone to anxiety, irritability and reduced performance.
    Eat balanced meals at regular intervals, and dont crash diet.
    Follow all this, and you should notice a change