+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foods to control Cholesterol

Red face Foods to control Cholesterol

Hi,

My latest blood report showed that I have high cholesterol. No treatment is required, but the doctor told me to take care with my diet. I know the general guidelines for controlling cholesterol like no fattening foods like cheese, butter, etc. and to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, and exercise regularly, etc.
    But can anybody give me more detailed information. Which fruits and vegetables are best for reducing cholesterol? What foods should be avoided to control cholesterol? Can someone give me a diet plan..? It would be much appreciated... Thanks...

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Super food

Hi

Wholegrains, spinach, neem leaves (crushed in a paste and eaten with honey), and rice-bran oil are some foodstuffs that help lowering the bad LDL cholesterol, and promoting good HDL.

Riya Jain's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Green tea

drink 2 cups of hot green tea every day. Works wonders for cholesterol reduction. Avoid processed foods and sugar, and indulge in food that has roughage - high fibre foods like barley, oats (for breakfast), eggplant, etc

Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA) rich foods

Avocados, Peanut butter, Hazelnuts, Almonds and Pecans contain heart-healthy MUFA, which helps lower Cholesterol levels. Olive and Peanut oils are also rich in monounsaturates. These are, granted, high in calories, but replacing your everyday oils with these will help a lot.

Eat seafood

seafood is popularly known as the king of meats, purely because of its nutritional value. Seafood like fish, prawns, etc are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your heart. It is recommended that you have atleast 2 servings of fish a week. Bake or grill the fish instead of frying.

An apple a day :)

Apples, grapes, strawberries, citrus fruits are fruits that are rich in pectin, a type of soluble fiber that lowers LDL. Eat a portion of these every day, and you should feel better. Combine your diet with a heavy exercize regime tho!