+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My child's fear of balloons

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Unhappy My child's fear of balloons

hi all

i wish to take advice as to how i can take the scare of balloon out of my 4 yr old son's mind.
    he was okay playing with balloons till he was 3 yrs when someone burst it on his face.
    he is dead scared of balloons now and doesn't attend any birthday parties of his friends also.
    i thought the scare will go with the time but it has become more of a phobia now.
    can someone help me in this regard ??
    do i need to see a child psychologist ?? otherwise he is intelligent and a happy active child.

please advise.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Usually we all have some fear and we are able to live with the mild fear throughout our lives but phobias are something different. When you avoid the object of your fear, or your fear stops you doing something you would really like to do then it’s known as a phobia.As your child is scared of balloons due to some unhappy incident so you need to take this fear out of his mind. You need to start the deconditioning process by making him aware that balloon is a harmless thing. For this you have to take initiative by showing him that playing with balloon is fun. do not force him into this as he needs his own time to come out of this fear.

Riya Jain's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    If your child has fear of balloons, than he must be helped to overcome out of it. You can gradually help him overcome his fear by playing with balloons and showing him kids enjoying with balloons. When he sees other kids of his age having a fun time with balloons, then he will surely give it a try. Moreover please do not force him into playing with balloons, as this will double his fear. Fear of balloons though is uncommon but many people do have this and it is known as globophobia.

I agree Reena, its really difficult to take the fear of balloons out of mind. My daughter has this fear and it becomes difficult for me to go with her all the times just because of this fear. She avoids any situation that might warrant balloons being near. Sometimes her friends enjoy to torment her with balloons, knowing the kind of fear she has of balloons and this situation becomes more difficult for me to handle as she becomes hysterical. I am also trying to find the way to overcome her fear, so if anybody has ideas do suggest so that my daughter can lead a normal life.