+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bedwetting 8 yr old

Bedwetting 8 yr old

My 8 yr old son is always wetting the bed even though I wake him up at night and take him to toilet. What could be the cause? Is something serious?

Bed wetting is associated with shame and embarrassment. It can be a cause of basic psychological disturbance if left untreated. It is often an inherited condition. Other reasons are having a small bladder which means the child needs to urinate more frequently, having a weak bladder muscle, a urinary tract infection and not yet having a good brain-bladder connection.

As for your child I think you need to put some plans into action to prevent his bed wetting. Children over the age of 5 should be offered techniques for stopping wetting. Waking your child to toilet during the night does not allow him to recognise the sensation of full bladder.You can give small rewards for a dry day. This works.

it is important to encourage them when they are dry, but not by referring to being dry as “good”, so that the child does not automatically assume that it is “bad” to be wet. Offering incentives such as reward charts can be useful to improve motivation, BUT only if they are able to have some dry nights.
    Obviously it is very important to NOT make a dramatic issue out of the wet nights.

Hi, bedwetting is a common problem in children and every parent has to go through it during their parenthood. It is very common that you have to get in the night and change the bedsheets of your child and becomes a routine of life. There can be various reasons of bedwetting but not all the times it is something serious and to be worried about. But if it is frequent and continuous even after taking precautions then you should visit your paediatrician. You don’t have to worry about it there is nothing serious about this matter. Let time pass byeverything will be alright.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello, I have experienced the same what you and your child are going through and when I consulted the paediatrician he said it is quite normal and obvious thing and nothing to worry about. I know this bedwetting situation makes it tough for the kids and the parents both. There are about ninety percent children who suffer from the bedwetting issues and each child thinks that they are the only ones doing it and prefer hiding it. They feel embarrassed and worse about it and sometimes even start feeling guilty. You should explain them that there is no harm in doing so.

My son used to wet his bed till the age of ten, I consulted our paediatrician and he told me thatit is a natural tendency in kids to wet their bed till a certain time. Children cannot naturally control their bladder at night and if they can’t control their pressure, they seem to wet their bed and makes it an embarrassing situation for them. It is also said that majority of the kids wet their beds during the night and boys tend to wet it more than the girls. So I suggest you to not worry and give your child his own space.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    It is absolutely normal that your child is bedwetting even at the age of 8 years. It is said that by the age of 5 years, about 15% of children wet their bed and by the age of 10, about 95% of children stop wetting their bed gradually. The child feels bad about wetting his bed and even cry having a bad feeling. Some parents get frustrated thinking that their children are lazy to get out of bed for toilet. Some kids feel that something is wrong with them, but you comfort them that this happens and is okay to not worry and tell you everything what happens.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes it happens that when you younger child wets his bed, he is teased by his siblings and this makes them feel very embarrassed, angry, sad, guilty and feel worse when teased. Usually bed wetting is a part of growing up and is not any kind of a traumatic situation to panic about. You try to understand the problems which leads to the causes of bedwetting. This is a common childhood problem and can be dealt smartly with your child without making him feel worse about the situation. If the situation is worse than do consult a paediatrician or a guidance.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello all, bed wetting in kids is the most common problem in childhood of all. It takes time for the children to understand the signals given by the bladder during the sleep causing them to wet their bed. Some kids wet their bed due to laziness to get up, some are scared, some don’t want to pee. The low anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) is a hormone which informs the kidneys to male less urine and kids who wet their bed in the night release this hormone less than other kids while asleep and more urine can mean more bedwetting.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi all, if your child is a deep sleeper they can tend to wet their bed more than other kids. They sleep so deep and sound that their brain doesn’t get the signal that their bladder is full and they need to empty it, instead they wet their bed unknowingly. The other reason can also be that the child’s bladder might be of a normal size but it might be functioning small, even though when the brain might be sending the signals as the bladder is full. If the bowels are full they press on the bladder and might also cause uncontrolled bladder contractions during sleep in the night.

It is extremely important if your child is bedwetting his bed during the night to assure him that whatever he is doing is quite normal and nothing to be scared about. Reassure him that he does not have to be ashamed of it and he will grow out of it and pass through it. Give him some examples in family who have been through this, make him feel comfortable and also try to give him more fluids during the day time rather than night. Try avoiding drinks which contain caffeine as they are not good for the health of the child.