Womens Issues Club
+ Reply to Thread + Post New Thread

Thread: My parents dont want me to work as i am a girl

Angry My parents dont want me to work as i am a girl

only in a country like India can shows like Balika Vadhu and Na Aana Is Des Laddo do so well!
    yesterday, i told my family that I had been looking for a job and have found a very well paying job close to my house, and they got so angry at me! They are looking for boys for me and I have no problem getting married. but what has that got to do with my working???? I got very upset when my fther came right out and said that in our family at least, girls are not allowed to work. I just left the house angry but I am going to fight with them for being so narrow minded and orthodox!
    why bring me up in a modern society and send me to the best schools and colleges awhen u want me to spend my whole life sitting in a house?!?!

does anyone want to give me any suggestions on how to tackle my family???

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    yeah right. Your parents seem to be living in bygone era. they do not know that a girl has the same right as a boy does. Try to explain them in a clear way that you have dreams and aspirations and there is nothing wrong in following them as long as you are not doing anything wrong. I hope they will understand your point of view.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    try to prove your parents wrong by being there for every need. Prove them that as a girl you are not weak and can accomplish everything that a boy can do. soon they will realize their mistake

you should explain to your parents rather than rebelling. you can give examples of women achievers. By working, you can be independent. i hope they understand

I know what you feel. This is frustrating when there are gender inequalities in a society. This is not accepted and it is our voice that can change the way how people around us think and behave.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Be the Change that you want to see around you!

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi Malti, Naina and the rest!

Thanks for your suggestions! my dad made me think that he really needed my help in his office, so i agreed to join his office. but he doesnt let me do any major work there also. what do i do!!

Hii all, and Ms mariam. You show ur creativity and ur dedication to work. His mind will change.....

+ Reply to Thread + Post a new Question