+ Reply to Thread

Thread: In laws taking away wedding gifts !!!

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Angry In laws taking away wedding gifts !!!

Hi Everyone,

I got married in jan 2013, and as indian tradition says i shifted to my in-laws place soon after marriage. The problem is all my wedding gifts are taken by my in-laws. Everytime i ask for it, i get a wierd response "what will do with wedding gifts, anyways u live in a rented house".
    I shifted to a rented house becoz of the over interfering, over diciplined and complaining nature of my in-laws moreover they have hundreds of expectations which i am not bound to fulfill.
    Plz suggest me how can i get all my stuff back. Its been 15 months now, i was able to retrive my jewellery from them for my sisters marriage however i am not getting hand over my gift stuff !!!

Thanks in advance !!!

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi Shweta,

Im sorry to hear about your difficulties so soon after marriage.. what kind of wedding gifts are you talking about? Not your trouseau, correct? because that is toh yours only.. Could you tell us what type of gifts you talking about? based on that, i will give you suggestions

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi Hetal,

I received all kinds of kitchen items like Mixer, Rice cooker, Blender, Wall hangings, Entire set of non stick vessels, Wall clock etc etc a few to name. Basically they were household items needed to start a family. But there plenty of such items which are just kept under their Bed, however if i ask for them, i get a very weird look and angry look. I am not even allowed to touch those.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    You need to handle the situation with patience so that it does not turn ugly. You can take the help of your husband and try to explain them that these gifts will be very useful to you in starting your new life. These could save you a lot of unnecessary financial burden. you must ask them what is their plan with your wedding gifts.