+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dealing with hyperactive kids

Dealing with hyperactive kids

My kid is hyperactive. He cannot sit at one place for long. He has problem in learning also as he is unable to concentrate. I am worried that he may hurt himself or others. How can I deal with him?

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hyperactive kids are full with energy, making focus very difficult. So parents often feel that one way to help with this extra energy is to give children lots of opportunities for exercise. You shouldn't let a child run to the point of exhaustion, but exercise is a very beneficial way to help refocus energies.So just help him channelize his energies.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I am a doctor and I know how to deal with hyperactive kids. I would like to suggest some positive points that can help hyperactive kids. Children respond to praise, and are more likely to seek your attention by doing something good, if they are reinforced when they behave well. Hyperactive kids frequently receive attention from their parents in negative ways, whether the parent yells, spanks or punishes. Changing to positive reinforcement techniques can retrain a child to desire your positive strokes rather than your negative responses.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Establishing regular routines can help hyperactive kids. If a child knows that bedtime is at 8:00 pm, then he or she will naturally fall into the pattern of going to bed at 8:00. From my personal experience I can say that avoid overstimulation. Keep television watching to a minimum, and don’t allow TV watching at night. Use free time to take a trip to the park, read a special book together, take a walk, or simply giggle and be silly with your child or children.

Nice Article

Hi, I can totally relate to your problem as even I have a hyperactive child. It is difficult to cope up with a hyperactive child and can be tough handling them. They are usually very unstable and have unstoppable energy and keep bouncing here and there doing different activities every time. They do not listen and follow instructions easily and may also be doing the same in their school and this might have effect on their studies. They might also have behavioural problems which are difficult to deal with. You need to set some strict rules and make them follow it strictly.

It is important to set rules and orders for extreme hyperactive kids so that you can maintain a loose and healthy relationship of rules. This kind of rules are worth trying as they definitely work for hyperactive kids. Though it might be a laid back process and parenting style it is still efficient enough for kids to calm down. However they might tend to have trouble in unclear environments and it is important for you as a parent to keep things clear and in an ordered manner. Make him release what is expected from him every day and try to be calm.

Hello, dealing with hyperactive kids is very important and difficult to deal during our parenthood. It is important to fight with those issues if you decide they are worth fighting. Firstly it is important to know that a hyperactive child is not a bad child. Sometimes hyperactivity is the reason behind a psychological disorder which is called as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. This causes the brain chemistry which affects the brain’s ability to pass information between the brain cells. It might be difficult for him to deal with constraints of daily life and it is important for you to focus on the main issues.

Hello, my son was very hyperactive when he was small almost 6 years old and I had a difficult time coping with his hyperactivity. I took a decision of focusing what was wrong with him and tried to manage his behaviour. Try to talk to him and when you do insist him to look in your eye and also explain things calmly so that he understands it better. Explaining things slowly and smartly will make him understand things easily. Writing down some instructions can also help your child to follow them and help them exercise it regularly.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi helping out a hyperactive child is very necessary before he hurts himself or others. Firstly remember this is not a disease and your child is not a bad child. Do not shout and get angry on him, handle the situation patiently and make a list for him to follow. Explain him things in detail so he understands and help him follow the instructions you make. Follow a step to step list and make him follow it, don’t force him, make him realise the importance of things which he does. Make him refer the list so that he remembers what he has been told.

Dhwani Singh's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    It is important to minimise the distractions available around him. It is most likely possible that children get distracted easily with each and every thing around him and from the smallest possible thing also which we might not even notice. Every task he does needs to be done without any distraction. You can take his homework in such rooms where there is no distraction like TV or computer. Try to sit where the windows and doors are far so that he doesn’t get up or run out. Allow them to be free but not so much that they start getting distracted by other things.

Hello, you can try out these things to keep the situation under control and also make your child a bit manageable. It is important for a child to concentrate on one thing while he does one thing. It is important to make sure he does not feel captured or punished in one room. Remind him this is done so that she can concentrate and also participate well in a specific thing. Utilize their energy and make him realise that a task is important to complete and not to be left incomplete. A positive reinforcement is a reward to the pass through the struggle.

You can help your child manage his energy levels and excitement by involving him in extra-curricular activities. You can involve him in physical activities like any sports, which he likes or is fond of like cricket, swimming or biking as it is quite beneficial for the health of the child as well. You can also put him in karate classes or let him teach martial arts as it helps create balance of mental concentration along with physical exertion and this is very beneficial for them as they require it. Some other sports like basketball, football can help increase his social skills.

Hyperactive child creates many problems for parents but by keeping yourself calm and patiently handling the situation is the only way of dealing with such kids