+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to put on weight

How to put on weight

My son is very skinny. His diet is good and he has no health issues but still he does not seem to put on weight. Can exercises help him in putting on weight? Please advise.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Exercises can help your school goer to build in muscles which in turn help in healthy weight gain. If your son has no health issues then you need not worry but you must take care of your son's diet. In order to help him gain weight, do not give him junk foods or foods high in fats.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    My son was also skinny when he was a kid. I was always concerned about his health and his not being able to gain weight. I even consulted doctor and they found out that everything was normal. Then when he was in his teens, he started gaining weight.

Many boys gain weight quite late. If a child is tall as compared to kids of his age, then he is bound to be lanky or skinny but this is not a hard and fast rule. Skinny kids seldom have health issues and if given healthy food choices, they are able to gain a healthy weight later on.

Hi, one of my friend said her son was studying in the 9th grade and has a height of 5 feet 6 inches but weighed only 48 kilograms. He has a healthy diet and has all his meals properly on time and regularly. In spite of having a healthy diet he is not seeming to gain weight and she felt that there was something wrong with him or his health that he is not gaining weight. It is obvious that some children have a skinny built up of the body and no matter what they eat and do they do not have gain in their weight.

Hello, some children are genetically fidgety and cannot sit still at one place. Some struggle to gain weight which is equal to the over-fat people who yearn to trim down. There are at times where genetics play an important in shaping the body and gaining weight and maintaining it is difficult. Sometimes skinny people have a continuous habit of being active throughout and have spontaneous movements leading to their constant exercising. There are several children who have difficulties in gaining weight and there is no need to worry. Once they start hitting their puberty they become more stable.

Hi, children not gaining weight is a common problem suffered by the children and parent both. Here are a few tips I hope they might help your child. Try giving him consistent meals and do not let him skip meals in between so that he does not miss out on those important calories which are needed for his day to day activities. They should eat proper breakfast which is fulfilling, an early lunch and then some healthy snack and last dinner. If you follow this routine with your child I am sure he will have some effects.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I have been through what you are going through right now and I even consulted a paediatrician for this weight gain process and he suggested me a few things which I would like to share it with you. You can feed your child larger portions of food than normal and also pack a healthy and fulfilling snack for his tiffin. Have a healthy lunch and then in between the meals give a tall glass of milk, some fruits or cereals. Try to have a balanced diet as this is a growing age and all the nutrients, minerals and necessary vitamins will reach the body as required.

My daughter has a very low weight and does not seem to gain weight. She has a healthy diet but still is skinny and gaining weight is next to impossible. I went to a doctor and asked him for his help. He said that this tendency of the body is quite natural and many children do not gain weight easily like others and there is nothing to be worried about. Some parents think that it is some disease, but there are various factors due to which the weight gain is not possible. My daughter has genetically absorbed genes of her father as he is also skinny and tall and my daughter is exactly like him.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hey, one of my friends is skinny and has suffered from gaining weight and was skinny almost till his teenage. Later on slowly gradually he gained a little bit of weight not much. Some of them have a body tendency that whatever they eat no matter what they do not gain weight. It is said that whatever they eat their body does not absorb it. They can go for eating high calorie foods and choose over the high calorie foods than the regular food like drinking cranberry juice instead of orange juice and making such choices.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I would like you to suggest that give your child a lot of drinks like juices and low fat milk. Give them high calorie fluids instead of water to quench their thirst. Adding cranapple juice which is a combination of cranberry and apple juice which consists almost 1,000 calories and drinking it every day can help in gaining those extra pounds which are required. Eating peanut butter, avocado, nuts and using olive oil in the food which is to be eaten by your child can lead to addition of weight gain. I hope you try these out and the information was useful.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello all, I recommend you that have your child focused on eating. Turn off the TV and computer and when he is eating let him concentrate on it and put away all the distractions aside and set some ground rules during meals. Add some boosters to his diet like skim milk powder, dried fruits, nuts, cheeses, cereals and vegetables mashed so that he does not know. You can also send his for gymnastics or karate or to do some cardio exercises so that he can have a growth of weight. Some push ups daily can also help in build those extra muscles required.