+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Punishment for Lying

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Punishment for Lying

This seems a silly question but I want to know if I should punish my preschooler for telling lies so that he never lies again. My preschooler son is lying for silly reasons. sometimes when I ask him if he has taken a thing though I have seen him taking it, he lies and says a NO. It irritates me. Should I punish him? If so, what punishment is good for him. Need some parenting advice!

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Preschoolers are sensitive. there may be a reason behind lying by your son. It may be bcos you may have scolded him or some any other reason. Kids lie just like that. they do not know the difference between lying and telling truth. They are in a make believe world of their own. Teaching him not to tell lies is important rather than punishing him.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    You can punish him but it is depended on the gravity of the lie. I always punished my kids when they tell lies but punishments were simple such as no chocolates or TV for one night. For bigger mistakes may be a week off TV.So basically you can punish him but it should depend on what he lied about.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I do punish my5 and 6 year olds for lying. I have explained to them how important telling the truth is. They know that if they lie about something they get punished. If they just tell the truth the first time they only get punished for what they did. Now my kids don't lie a lot, and I think its because we don't lie and also because they were punished for telling lies. Punishment works