+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Giving in to child's demand or not

Giving in to child's demand or not

My daughter is just 4 yrs old but she has her own mind and tastes. she does not like waring just anything. It has to be specific and to her liking. It has to be of colour of her choice, otherwise she will not wear. Even for other things, she will have what she wants. It is very difficult to take along for shopping. Should I give in to my kids demands and give her what she wants?

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    there's nothing wrong with buying your kids things if they ask for it and it really makes them happy. It is not an issue of discipline. You might disagree with my views but I feel children should be given what they want as they hardly understand the the difference between right and wrong.having things is a lot different from being spoiled.

you should not buy them EVERYTHING they want, but i really think you should actually think about it when she asks for something. see whether its worth it and will make the kid happy within reason. Instead of just flat out saying no think whether it is worth or not.Sometimes giving in to demands is better than saying a no.

I think it is a bad idea to give anything that the kid wants. He can get spoilt. If she asks something that is not suitable for her age, then will you give her? No. so she should be habituated to no also. She can have it if she works for it. Let her appreciate it by rewarding her for good conduct, grades and achievements rather then just giving everything the moment she asks for it. A lot of people don't help their kids to appreciate things and want to work hard for things they either give them things to shut them up or don't give them anything and cause the child to feel like their parents don't care about making them happy when they are able to financially.

Sometimes it's ok to give in. I generally don't give in immediately. So if she wants a toy she has to wait till a special occasion like sunday to get it. Try to reason with the kids, like she can get her ice-cream cone after we have finished with the shopping. Generally works better than an outright No.