+ Reply to Thread

Thread: periods after delivery

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

periods after delivery

I am a new mother and I have not yet started menstruating. When will start my periods? If my periods have not started then does this mean that I will not get pregnant? I would like to know the details so that I can plan a proper birth control method.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Period after delivery

It's difficult to say exactly when your periods will start again. The timing is different for every mum, and also depends on your body and schedule of feeding your baby. If you're breastfeeding, then there will be delay in the return of your periods. If you're breastfeeding day and night, it can be up to a year before you have a period.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Breastfeeding and Pregnancy

If you're breastfeeding exclusively, even then you may still be ovulating. So it can be risky to rely on breastfeeding alone as a method of contraception. you are unlikely to get pregnant if:
    your periods haven't returned properly yet
    your baby is less than six-months-old
    your baby is feeding fully and frequently, day and night
    But it would be better to have a birth control method as breastfeeding is not a sure shot way of preventing pregnancy.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Periods and breastfeeding

Please use a proper method of birth control after consulting your doctor. there are many chances that you may get pregnanyt while breastfeeding. Periods normally resume after about 6 months to one year of exclusive breastfeeding.