+ Reply to Thread

Thread: common myths

common myths

Let's share some common pregnancy myths. Many of the myths have been passed on from generation to generation without finding the truth or fact behind it. It would be a great idea to get the pregnancy facts corrected by highlighting the myths. One common myth is that when a pregnant women has a high belly, it means she will have a girl and if carrying low then a boy. I think there is no truth to this.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

common myths

Yeah I remember my in-laws telling me about this myth. I was carrying low so everybody predicted that iwould have a boy but i delivered a healthy girl. This shows that such things have no truth to them. another common myth is that craving for salty foods means that you will be having a boy.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Common pregnancy myths

I remember a funny myth. My aunt used to tell this. Heartburn during pregnancy means your baby will be born with lots of hair. But we know that heartburn is a common discomfort during this state and is no way an accurate predictor of baby being born with lots of hair. Women with this problem have welcomed baldies into the world.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Common pregnancy myths

It is believed that if your mother had an easy pregnancy and delivery, so will you. I think this is a myth only as the size and position of the baby, your diet, lifestyle and attitude all play greater roles in determining the ease or difficulty of your pregnancy and delivery.

There are common myths during the pregnancy which should be clearly avoided and not to pay heed to. The most common myth heard during pregnancy is that the shape of the women’s stomach can tell whether it is a girl or a boy. If the position of stomach is high then it is a girl, if it is low then it is a boy.

The other myth that compulsory three healthy meals should be eaten a day. This is not at all true, you should at least be having six to seven small meals after an interval of two to three hours a day. Eating at regular intervals will keep you blood sugar levels in range and keep you and your baby healthy.

The next myth says that having a drink is okay which is true. One glass of drink is not that hazardous or harmful to your baby. One glass of wine is not harmful for the baby but two or more alcoholic drinks daily can harm your baby and can be fatal as well. Daily drinking can lead to fetal alcohol syndrome.

The myth that decaf only can be taken by the pregnant women which is not true. Having small cup of coffee a day is completely okay. But having more than one cup of caffeine a day is not at all good for your health. The increase in intake of caffeine increases the risk of having miscarriage. Intake of moderate caffeine along with milk once a day or occasionally not harmful to the baby.

The myth that a pregnant women should avoid eating cheese is absolutely wrong. Not all kinds of cheeses should be avoided, only cheeses which are not pasteurized should not be eaten. You can eat pasteurized cheeses like swiss, cheddar and many more. Unpasteurized cheeses should be avoided as they might be carrying food borne diseases.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    One of the most common myth is that it is important to more because you are eating for two. This is absolutely false and fake. During your pregnancy meals take should be six to seven and you should eat healthy as whatever you eat the baby eats and the nutrients and other required things by the baby are absorbed from the mother has eaten. A pregnant mother needs only 300 calories extra on an average when she is pregnant.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The other myth says you should not eat seafood if you are pregnant which is not true. It is absolutely safe to eat cooked seafood. The problem is only when you eat raw seafood which may contain bacteria and may not be good for your health and the baby. It is highly recommended that you thoroughly cook the fish and then consume it, there is no harm in eating that way.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The most common myth that pregnant women should not go to the gym, which is false. The doctor recommend women to go to the gym and do low impact exercises which are good for your health and the body. You can always do exercises which avoid your back or simple stretching can also help you relax.