+ Reply to Thread

Thread: taking painkillers in pregnancy

taking painkillers in pregnancy

I frequently have headaches. When I get a severe headache, then i pop in a pain killer. Now I am pregnant, is it safe to pop in painkillers or should I take a prescribed medicine? I think crocin is safe during pregnancy, so can I take it when I have headache?

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

no Self medication in pregnancy

It is better to be off the medicines during pregnancy unless prescribed by your doctor. Taking medication may harm the developing baby. Too much painkillers are also not good for the health of the baby. you can try natural remedies for getting rid of headache. Better still, consult your doctor.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

self medication in pregnancy

There are many medications you should steer clear of during pregnancy. Be sure to talk to your doctor about which prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs you can take during pregnancy. Even common OTC medications that are generally safe may be considered off-limits during pregnancy because of their potential effects on the baby. Certain prescription medications may also cause damage to the developing fetus. so it is better to avoid medication during this period.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Medicines during pregnancy

don't take anything that could put your baby at risk so consult your gynec. before popping any pill. Natural or home remedies may not be completely safe during this period but you can try them in small doses. Crocin is also not that safe. It is better to consult a doctor before taking it.

There are sometimes when a pregnant mother may feel good and may feel irritated or agitated. This is the time when they opt for medications like pain killers which are the regular over the counter medicines. Some of the medications are safe to take during pregnancy but not all. Some of the medications may affect the health of the baby.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    It is important to visit the doctor when you know you are pregnant. The doctor will suggest proper medicines which should be taken and are absolutely safe to take in pregnancy. The doctor will take care of everything and recommend you the best.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi all it is important to visit the doctor in the pregnancy you can ask which medicines to take and the doctor will also suggest which alternative medicines and extra supplements to take for good health.

It is safe to take prenatal vitamins which are quite important in pregnancy. The doctor will also provide other supplements, vitamins and herbal remedies. These herbal remedies and supplements are upto you to take or not.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Usually it is advised not to take any over the counter medications unless necessary. These are some medications which are absolutely safe to take during the pregnancy and have no harmful side effects like Benadryl, Claritin which can be taken for allergies.

In the first trimester of pregnancy doctors recommend to take Tylenol, saline nasal drops or spray, or gargle with warm water if you have cold or flu. If you are suffering from constipation then you can take Metamucil or colace.

Riya Jain's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello you can also use Neosporin, bacitracin, J&J First Aid Cream, first aid ointment for the treatment of first aid. To treat rashes you can use the oatmeal bath, caladryl lotion or cream, Benadryl cream or the hydrocortisone cream or ointment. Remember all these are suggested by the doctor and are safe to use during pregnancy.

It is not necessary that only medications should be taken to get rid of allergies, rashes, cold and flu. There are some alternative therapies which have been proven to be safe and efficient for pregnant women. These are also preferred as there are no side effects in these therapies. You can discuss about it with your doctor and see through it which therapy is suitable for you.