+ Reply to Thread

Thread: confusion about Surrogate mothers

confusion about Surrogate mothers

Recently in news, it was all over that Aamir Khan and Shahrukh Khan had babies using surrogate mothers.I am a bit confused I wanted to know whether there are different types of surrogate mothers? What it needs to be to become a surrogate mother?

There are two kinds of surrogate mothers. Traditional surrogacy is where the lady carrying the baby uses her egg and the intended dad's sperm or donor sperm to conceive a baby through IUI. In a gestational surrogate, they use an egg donor and sperm donor,in any way. This process is done through IVF either with fresh embryo of frozen embryo transfer.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    A surrogate mother is a woman who carries a child for a couple or single person with the intention of giving that child to that person/people once the being is born (also called surrogate pregnancy). The surrogate mother may be the baby's biological mother (traditional surrogacy) or she may be implanted with someone else's fertilized egg (gestational surrogacy).

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The criteria to become a surrogate mother are simple:
    The woman must be between 21-42 years old. A surrogate mother younger than 21 year of age may not have the maturity to deal with and understand the intricacies of surrogate parenting
    She must have her own children as she can understand the pregnancy demands better.
    Money should not be the major motivating factor to become a surrogate mother. It is important to explore both conscious and unconscious motivations. And above all she must understand what she is agreeing to, has the support of her family.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes, every women needs to mother a baby, that is her ultimate dream in her life. Of course, i fulfilled that dream after many struggles. There are many women who cannot conceive due to many problems for them surrogacy is the very good option. There are women who can help couples to carry their child in her womb. it can also be said as rented wombs. Some women opt for it through their relatives and others go for commercial surrogacy. I came to know about this when i am undergoing the treatment in a fertility centre in Chennai.
    Dr. has given a final option as surrogacy, then i inquired the details, the process is really option, they are helping some many women through this surrogacy, but i conceived on my own as the treatment was successful.