+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Similar name within the family?

Similar name within the family?

I wanted to know if I could name my to-be born girl baby 'Aditi'. My husband's cousin with the same surname has a son named Adit. Our parents are very close but we are not very fond of that cousin. Does Adit & Aditi sound alike? I'm thinking this may not go down well with their family. Please share your opinions.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi Satya,

The way i see it is, its your dauhter! name her watever you want! naming your child aditi has nothing to do with your cousin-in-law's kid being named adit, is it? So go ahead and name her whatever you want.

as far as your family is concerned, you say that the elders are close to each other right..? so then why would anyone have any issue with you naming your daughter something similar..?

I agree with Arushi that you can name your daughter whatever you want.. But.. (and this is just my personal opinion) Adit is a somewhat uncommon name whereas Aditi is an extremely common name.. What is the reason that you want to name your daughter Aditi specifically? There are soo many unique and new names from A (assuming that you chose the letter A from Raashi). Why not name your daughter something funky, or at least different..

Here, see the insane number of baby girl names here: http://www.indiaparenting.com/names/index.shtml

I agree with Rachna and Kanchi. Not only is Aditi way too common, but why name her that when it could lead to confusion within the family. There are some really amazing names from A, if you wish to name your baby from A specifically..
    Names like Anaya, Anania, Anurie, etc..

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I think it would be inconsiderate to that boy who has the same last name to have someone within the same family by the same name. Every parent wants their child to have a name that no one else in the family has, so did your cousin. If it's a grandparent or a family name that you wanted to honor,then you could all share that name. I don't think that's the case with you.You should respect your cousin's choice, not step in their way & choose a name that would be unique to your own child.

Yes, it's your daughter & you could name her whatever you want but you should also be sensitive to other family members, if you call them family. A family should respect each other's emotions & choices. That saying, may be they would not mind you naming your daughter after their kid's name but somewhere you are hurting them, you are stealing something from them that up until now was only their's. There may be a million Adits, it would have never bothered them, but when within a close knit family somebody has the similar name, trust me it would hurt..I have experienced it. It's very insensitive.

Hi !!

Do not bother even if the same in family !!! I have two girls in my family with same name but yes, the surname is different but look at the meaning also moreover, Aditi is not so common name. Yeah thats right - Aditi is not so new name also but still it is preferable however, if you still preferable and do no compare your choice for keeping your girl name Aditi. However other names are there starting with "A".