+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Encouraging Reading at a young age

Encouraging Reading at a young age

Hi Friends

Just joined the community and wanted to share my experience with getting children to read. I was quite obsessive with my daughter when it came to reading. I would literally chase her to spend time at the age of 2 trying to figure out words and phonics!!
    While now that she is a teenager and I regret forcing her to read at that early an age, I feel my goal was right, but my methods were wrong.
    She now however is a voracious reader and this has helped her in her studying methods. For example, a thick book does not look so daunting and sequencing thoughts becomes easier, vocabulary is not a challenge ... I can go on and on.

Do you keep trying to get your children to read more? Wondering if you have experienced the advantages of early reading for yourself?

Cheers

Hi just read your post, no nor were your methods wrong nor was your approach because as parents we want the best for our kids.I am a practitioner at an early learning centre in dwarka called Little Marvels and we stress on books even when we have our mother toddler sessions.
    We stress on the fact that the child has just to hold ,feel,smell the book to familiarize with it,reading comes much later.It has unparalleled effects on these young brains and very long lasting learning achievements.No method is unjust as long as the outcome is positive and for the betterment of the child...... understandably without using any harsh methods.Nothing comes easy and simple it is a continuous effort on the part of parents and teachers alike.... Kudos to those parents who work hard on their child ,,,after all we owe it to them.....