+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 5 year old son is not interested in anything, should I meet a psychologist?

My 5 year old son is not interested in anything, should I meet a psychologist?

Hello, my 5 year old son is not interested in any kind of activity. its not that he not intelligent. He CAN but he doesn't wants. I am more worried as he is not interested in building blocks, puzzles, drawing, coloring or any concentration activities. Also, he lacks presence of mind. he is simply not motivated in anything. he will be involved in something and soon will loose interest. we don't shout or yell on him. we have a very decent atmosphere in house. he is the only child and we live in Europe. please suggest.

You could consult a psychiatrist who will determine whether this is a developmental phase or a case of something that needs to be assessed further. I must remind you that children often display a variety of behaviours in their developmental ages - some speak later, or walk sooner, so usually it a case of evolving as child and balancing it out.

At age 5, the child’s attention span is just over 2 minutes, so please do not expect him to sit attentively like a 10 year old will. Children often shift between activities because this is the age of exploration. Some children do not take to manupulatives as you have mentioned – blocks, puzzles etc but may enjoy music, dance or more physical activities that are movement based and therefore, before you worry, it is important that you understand that children as young as 5 are still evolving. His fine motor skills may not be as developed which is the hesitation to attempt activities that you have described.

Also, i would suggest introducing more play doh, moon sand, paints instead of colour pencils, etc to get him interested in more “stationery activities”. My honest sense would be use more books, audio visuals to also build on concentration, work on his fine motor development at this stage.

Fatima Agarkar