+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my mother in law is very partial to her daughters

Unhappy my mother in law is very partial to her daughters

my husband has 3 elder sisters and 1 elder brother. my mother in law is very partial to her 3 daughters. she does not even try to be discreet about it. she will fight with my husband and my brother in law and father in law to get jewellery made for her daughters every 6 months. not once has she said that make some jewellery for your wife also. my elder bhabi and I are so used to this behaviour but now just because my husband once bought me a small gold chain, she has become even more demanding. where can my husband get so much money to make gold jewellery for 3 sisters so many times! They are all married in good well to do families. i want to tell my mother in law but i am the youngest and it will look very bad. what can i do?

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    this happens in every house. though everybody says that we treat dils like our daughters bur it never happens in reality. there is a little bias. In my case, my mil openly admits that her daughters are far better than me in every respect and that i should follow them to become an ideal dil. sometimes i feel angry and frustrated.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    my mil is just crazy about her daughters. She always invites them to house and even does never ask me. I do not have a life of my own, it seems. i have to cook for them, cancel my outings and adjust to her demands. Whenever they come, they want something or the other. they never go empty handed and mostly it is something expensive. this is putting us in a lot of financial pressure but even i am unable to speak up. Guess we are in the same boat.

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    try to draw a line. if not possible to tell directly as you said so, then try to maintain a distance. Many times distance makes relationship stronger. you can put your foot down if you find something unacceptable.