+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what constitutes dowry?

Angry what constitutes dowry?

i have a question regarding dowry. now when the boy's side knows that dowry is not allowed and that they will get into trouble for demanding dowry outright... what if they demand it in different way. I have heard of my friends' in-laws asking for rivaj ka gold necklaces (i.e. they were asking the girl's side to give all the boy's side's family gold necklaces as that is the tradition." Isnt that also considered dowry only?

neha francis's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    there is a very fine line between dowry and customs. Most often people give the name of custom for dowry. They say that it is a custom and not asking for anything. customs and traditions are meant to be followed. so girl's family give in to demands.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Dowry I feel is any unreasonable demand from boys side. In the name of custom, many parents are encouraging dowry. We mall should have to take a stand to curb this evil. Whatever the girls parents give happily to the girl is not dowry and every other demand is actually a dowry in disguise.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    What do you mean by unreasonable demand. any demand is dowry. Boys side should not demand anything. Whatever girls parents give are to the girl only and out of their love. Besides this everything demanded is considered dowry. It creates unnecessary financial and mental stress on the girl's family.

obviously its also a dowry and can say that boy's side people think that they are very smart and Pretend that they do not want any kind of dowry and actually indirectly they do such thing in the name of RIVAz.