+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sore or Cracked Nipples in Breastfeeding Mothers

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sore or Cracked Nipples in Breastfeeding Mothers

Why do breastfeeding mothers suffer from sore nipples? How to prevent sore nipples caused due to breastfeeding? What are the treatments for sore nipples caused due to breastfeeding?

When i was nursing my baby, i frequently suffered from sore nipple issue. I found breastfeeding very difficult and dreaded the session. Then my doctor suggested me to apply breastmilk to the sore nipples, and this will help in healing. I did so and it did help me. I also applied petroleum jelly, after feeding my baby but made sure that i wipe it clean before every feed. So initially i did have problems of sore nipples but then it got corrected.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Sore nipples are a result of poor latching, poor breastfeeding position and thrush infection. Mostly poor breastfeeding position is the cause of sore nipples. some newborns have thrush infection and this passes on to the nipples of the breastfeeding mother.There are many other reasons of sore nipples also such as structural disorder of newborn or some structural problem of mother. These problems can be easily corrected.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I am a new mother and I have problems in breastfeeding my newborn because of sore nipples. It really makes me cry, when I start breast feeding my infant. I tried applying vaseline but still not got relief. Thanks for your tips. I am sure going to try it and let you know. I am hopeful that it will work.