+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Travelling with small kids

Shilpa Sethi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Travelling with small kids

Travelling with kids is challenging but a bit of know-how travelling with small children needn't be a hassle.
    My boy gets very excited once he comes to know about that we are on a go, he packs his bag with his favorite things too. Young children have short attention spans and get tired very quickly; tips below can help your travel be a pleasing experience…

Be prepared for the climate:
    Knowing about the environment where you are planning to go is a good thing to fill your bags with required things, like for example if you a visiting a cold place you can Google the climatic conditions there and fill your bags with warm clothing, gloves, socks etc to layer him up and still make your child stay active in his stay and enjoy himself. But make sure that he is not layered up too much as that can also make him cranky during the stay.

Stay Protected:
    When you are travelling antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizers should be an essentials in the handbag, we often do not come across hand wash facilities when at bay and keeping your kids protected using sanitizers can keep them away from bugs. Baby wipes useful for washing hands, cleaning toilet seats, and wiping down restaurant tables.
    I make sure to keep anti mosquito cream / stickers too as an essential as you never know there is a bug attack if you are visiting a zoo, going on jangle safari, or on a visit to a damp place.
    Medicines for fever, colic, band-aids, nappy rash crèmes, should also be kept handy.

Keep Activities handy:
    If you’re out on a long journey or travelling alone with the child like I did last month, have a collection of toys ready like handheld puzzles, small coloring books, crayons, stickers, story books and sometimes post-its can also be a good time pass for your kids for a long car or flight journeys. Involving a child in listening music through i-pods, or keeping an interesting video in your mobile / tab can also help out.

Give him his camera
    Giving toddlers their own camera can encourage them to observe their surroundings better, and focus on what interests them. My 3 year old surprises me with the results from their knee-high view. I have been amazed by his clicks; he has shot me, his father in different poses, shot flowers, mountains, water etc…
    Initially toy camera can help kids develop the sense of responsibilities and interest which can then be upgraded to your old-camera in the cupboard, I am sure they will love your trust in them to handle the device!

Don’t fill their stomachs much
    Don’t feed children more while travelling as this can result in vomiting, rather keep certain things like chewable tangy candies handy as this can help kids with movement of the car / flight.
    And be sure of keeping an extra pair of dress, a towel hanky / wipes too to avoid last minute rush on such accidents. Disposable bibs can be a good idea to keep near avoiding dirty clothing.
    If you plan to stay at a hotel, carry plenty of their favorite snacks and drinks when touring around. Keeping ready to eat stuff packs can be a great help for kids as they are fussy eaters and tend to eat by their choice.

Pre-book your journey
    Finding accommodation when you arrive can be challenging with children in tow. So even if you do want to keep things flexible, it's worth pre-booking for your first few nights: this will allow you to look for other places in a more leisurely way

On the GO
    Carrying babies in a sling strapped to the body is a popular option; both hands remain free, I think they are perfect travel aid
    Hand-held carrycots and prams are superb for babies small enough to carry when on the move, and can double up as a bed in the hotels as most hotels does not have shields to prevent babies falling off the bed. An extra pair of baby sheets too helps baby sleep on a sanitized home fresh sheet than available at the hotels.
    If your children still crawl around on the floor, one way of keeping them reasonably clean is to take a plastic sheet that you can put down anywhere for them to play on.
    When at hotels be careful about the dangers of unfamiliar places, such as unfenced swimming pools or balconies

Take care, hope these tips help you out with your kid outdoor, and share your experiences too.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hey very nice tips. Really useful. My daughter is 7 yrs old but she seldom sits quietly at a place so it is a challenge traveling with her. She is always running here and there. As for taking activities for kids, I do not think it is much feasible and moreover kids gets bored very easily. My daughter loves playing games on mobile and that is the only way I keep her occupied.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Malti for your appreciation on the tips.
    Well, certain things work out with some kids, taking activities help when you are travelling long distances, its works for mine Yes, mobile phones and tabs can keep your child occupied for hours, but that is always my last resource if nothing works out...as mentioned in the tip listed above
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 01-07-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I completely agree with you that mobile phones should be the last resource but sometimes when the kid becomes cranky it is the only solution to pacify him or her. Anyways I always plan before traveling and this saves a lot of time and energy. I also make a check list so that I do not miss out on anything. As for the kid, I take a lot of snacks and try to keep him busy with some games.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Fatima
    yes, i gets easier to pre-plan your travel
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 01-07-2014 at 07:11 PM.

there are many features on google about which we are not aware of. To find out how they work people should visit click https://www.trendebut.com so that they can get the required knowledge. I am happy that I visited this website.

Recently I, my husband and our little son went on a trip in our car and it was just unforgettable! These were the best 2 weeks of my life!

Hey! I often travel with my children and my wife and I used to do it in my car, but it is really very inconvenient. After a while my friend advised me to rent a van usa for travel and I decided to give it a try.
    As it turned out, traveling in a van is much more convenient and, moreover, very romantic! I advise everyone to try!

Hello! We also traveled with children and had no big problems. Always use only reliable company https://clicktraveltips.com. Recently returned from a trip, this time we tasted North Carolina. North Carolina, without a doubt, has some of the most beautiful beaches on the East coast, even all of the United States. While the Carolina coastline isn't as long as Florida or California, the jaw-dropping views and relaxation make up for it. North Carolina has lively coastal cities, secluded barrier islands, and a lot of fun for any type of traveler.