+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Prepare Your Child For Overseas Education

How to Prepare Your Child For Overseas Education

The UNESCO Institute of Statistics estimates that a little over 2,00,000 Indian students travel abroad for higher education. Unsurprisingly, the top five destinations for Indian students, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, have some of the best and most popular universities in the world. Given modern Visa restrictions it is a telling sign of the high esteem that Indian students are held in by foreign universities. Despite the fact that the door to foreign universities is open to Indian students there are some development goals essential to ensure both admission and success abroad.

1. Language Skills and Writing: When making a comparison between National boards and International boards in India, it is very obvious that there is a higher emphasis given to essay writing and language skills in International schools. This is done with good reason as foreign universities grade a large part of a student's academic career based on curriculum related essays that involve both in depth research and good quality academic writing.

2. Research Skills: Foreign universities take plagiarism and originality very seriously. Very often a student may inadvertently use an idea or a quote without proper citation and fall foul of the rules of research and citation. International schools not only teach proper research and citation but also teach students effective ways of researching to ensure that any previously published idea has been given due credit. In addition there is a strong system in place to ensure that all instances of plagiarism are found out to ensure that students are always vigilant when writing essays and other assignments. RIMS International School ensures that its students are not only well trained in how to research, but are meticulous in citation and chasing a reference to determine the actual origin of quotations and ideas used in their essays and other coursework.

3. Finding the Right Course: Very often students arrive at foreign universities only to discover that they have signed up for a course for which they are not well suited. This unfortunate situation can be blamed on a variety of reasons like bad advice, peer pressure to do a popular paper, not enough research about the course etc. However, the most important reason is usually that the student did not have sufficient opportunity to learn about options and guidance when choosing courses. RIMS teachers are experienced in helping their students explore the various options available to them for further study. In addition, RIMS’s low student-to-teacher ratio ensures that teachers can dedicate significant time to help students through one-on-one guidance.

4. Thinking Out-of-the-box: One of the biggest criticisms of University education in this country is that there is little deviation from the prescribed syllabus and students rarely get to explore the boundaries of the subjects that they are studying. While Indian students have the desire, drive and intelligence to study abroad, it is important that they develop the ability to look into new areas of research for coursework as this is what gets them better grades as well as sets them on the path to recognition. RIMS International always encourages its students to think differently about problems, to research widely and to formulate ideas and theories that set students apart from the ones in other International Schools.

5. Learning to be Independent: For students going overseas, this will be their first experience of not only living alone but of fending for themselves. Even children who have been to boarding school get used to the regimented lifestyle and find it difficult to adjust to the self-discipline and decision making of living abroad on their own. While students learn the most about being independent from their parents, schools can play a major role as well. At RIMS, we ensure that our students receive guidance but also learn to take decisions and responsibilities inside of the classroom, in their coursework and in non-academic subjects and projects.

Overseas education not only gives students an edge in their chosen careers, it teaches them to become different people, makes students independent and ensures that they are aware of their world. It is essential that any student choosing to study abroad covers all the basic knowledge and skill requirements so that they can concentrate on the higher aspects of their course and experience abroad. The five points above are essential to any student studying overseas and it is important that students have these inculcated through their formative years so that they are already experienced when they reach their University of choice.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Very informative piece of information. Really I was quite worried as my son is keen on going to Australia for higher studies. I did not know from where to get all the information and how to prepare for overseas studies. But your write up has been really helpful for parents like me. Now I am confident as I know from where to start

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hey you have given so much useful information. Thanks for sharing the information with all members. Sometimes it becomes difficult to get the required information and overseas education is not a child's play. It requires proper research and planning so information at this stage is very helpful.

Every parent has a dream that their child should go abroad and study and settle there itself. Well studying in abroad is not so easy as it looks. There are various factors which should be taken under consideration. Mostly we have seen student going abroad for their post-graduation studies or graduation. The first thing when you decide to go abroad to study is to know what you exactly want to do. Once you know what you are doing there are certain entrance exams which have to be given so that you get admission over there for the particular course you have chosen.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, studying abroad is a great experience but it is not at all easy to live alone and do all the things by yourself. If your child is planning on getting into a graduate school abroad then there are certain exams which are to be given for the entrance and receiving admission to the college. These exam can be challenging and tough but it your child gets through it then you should really appreciate your child. However this is the first hurdle which he has cleared, there are several hurdles ahead of him and each of them should be dealt calmly.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi, if your child is confident and determined then you should definitely support him or her to study in abroad. But it is not always easy as it looks. Your child will have to deal with the language, food, accommodation and may more other things. Adjusting to their language and culture can be difficult at times. And settling down might take a bit of time. He or she may also find studying and the course quite different and difficult from how we are taught. Living there alone without your loved ones is also a great thing and adjusting might take time.

Hetal Kapoor's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I have seen Indian students always having a desire to go out and study. One of my friend’s son went for completing his post-graduation in the United States. He went there for doing M.S in Dallas. He was very excited to go and study and was very determined they also got admission by giving the GRE exam and then they booked the tickets. Financially they are quite stable and as soon as he reached U.S he started crying and said he did not want to stay here and wanted to come home back. This was the first time he lived without his parents and he had a difficult time adjusting and settling down.

Dhwani Singh's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Often students do mistakes in choosing the right course which they actually want to do. Some of them choose a course only because their friends have chosen it and later on find it difficult to study. There are several counsellor available for counselling and guiding you and your children. They can tell you exactly which course you can choose and which college is best for that, the college fees and accommodation and rest of the things as well. They mentally and physically prepare you for the course. I highly recommend to choose the course wisely before doing any hurry.

Mariam Dsouza's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The main issue when you want to send your child to study in abroad is the financial issue. Be sure that you invest properly and be sure that your child will complete the course. I have seen parents who have invested so much in their child when they studied abroad but their children left the course incomplete saying that they could not cope up with the studies and all of the money invested was wasted. Wasting so much money is not fun, taking educational loan and can you guarantee that your child will pay the debts. Be sure that your child is fully prepared then only invest so much money.

Nursery school admission is no child’s play. It can give you sleepless nights and add on to the stress levels terribly. If you happen to be in Delhi NCR, then the situation worsens all the more where the total number of applications are almost triple of the actual nursery school seats available.

Me recently recommended this site, i ordered one paper, I was satisfied. Quickly paid, and very soon received his order. So if you want a high-quality and original dissertation, I advise you to contact thesis writing service.

It's vital that you prepare your child for overseas education before you make them go buy a fake diploma reviews. I understand that it might take a lot of effort from the parents' side, but I think they can do that.

If you are thinking of sending your child to a foreign country for education, then you should read the article How to Prepare Your Child For Overseas Education as it provides a lot of information related to Education.

I will never grant my child overseas education, I can't ever stand my child being away from me. My child was even approached by the Best migration agent Brisbane, but I won't ever allow my children to leave me. I just can't imagine that happening.