+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shyness in Children

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Shyness in Children

What causes shyness in children? What are the difficulties faced by children due to shyness? How to help children overcome shyness?
    To read the related article, click here.

Malti Shanker's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Shyness is what I feel an inherited trait. Its in the genes. My both the kids are very shy. I really have a difficult time with them as they are always stuck to me. they do not like making friends. They do not go out to play. Many times I go out and play with them but this is not a solution. I think as I am also not much of a outgoing person, so my kids are like me only. What can I do ? Any suggestions.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I know how difficult it is for shy people to overcome their shyness and mix with other people. I had been very shy as a kid. I hardly mixed with kids but once I made friends, they were for lifetime. It was difficult for me to go in parties or to a friends house as I was quite shy to open up in front of other unknown people. Whole life as a kid I would be thinking 'Should I say this or that'' what would they be thinking about me'. Life was more like a test for me. Then when I went to senior secondary, I deliberately tried to change myself after hearing some hurting remarks from my relatives. I tried mixing with everybody. This lesson though I learnt late in life but it has been of great help to me. I now apply it to my son. I do not want him to suffer as I did so I always make sure that he overcomes his inhibitions. I take the initiative for him many times.

Sometimes, shyness is the result of a pervasive problem that may or may not exist outside the child’s control. Bullies, cliques or an overly critical parent or sibling can lead a child to devalue his/her worth and accomplishments. Look for ways to foster discussion with children to help determine the cause of their shyness. Questions like, “What makes you feel sad?” or “When was the last time you were mad?” may spark a conversation that leads to some discovery.

One often-overlooked correlation is that shyness is often paralleled by low self-esteem due to slower (not lower) performance. While some may argue the “chicken or the egg theory” – that slow performance is a result of low self-esteem – scientists and psychologists now know that more often than not, self-esteem can be increased by increasing the speed at which results are attained. In fact, even smart kids tend to suffer a decrease of confidence when they don’t achieve their results (such as test-taking or homework) as quickly or easily as their classmates.

During my tenure cognitive skills trainer in Abu Dhabi, I came across many such kids who were very shy at the beginning but by the end of the program they had gained a new level of confidence.

I would suggest that your try the same for your child and get your child's cognitive skills assessment done.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    While i agree with you, Ruchi, that IF kids do have a problem, getting an assessment is good for them...but that is such a western USA type of habit, where we blame every small thing on an illness. sometimes kids are just that - SHY.. so parents should know not to make a big deal if its just simple shyness..

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    That being said...can you please explain how this assessment is done? Thanks!

nice article

Thanks for making this valuable stuff post such an amazing article post you have made some nice article post i like it dear
    Mens Tuxedos - TheUSASuit