+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amniocentesis Test during Pregnancy

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Amniocentesis Test during Pregnancy

What is amniocentesis test during pregnancy? When and how is it performed? What are the risks of getting an amniocentesis done?
    To read the related article, click here.

amniocentesis test is done in between weeks 15 and 20 to look at genetic information. It is used to see how the fetus is doing. It is very helpful especially in cases when there is some family history of a disease. I never had it done during my pregnancy as I had no risk of any genetic disease.

I turned down the amniocentesis on our children. We had a family history of Down syndrome. the doctor gave me the option to have an amniocentesis. However my chances of having a miscarriage due to the amniocentesis were greater then me having a down syndrome baby. I chose not to do the test. Having an amniocentesis is a risky procedure so unless something is severely wrong, I wouldn't suggest it.

Amniocentesis is not done as a general screening test for birth defects because it has an increased risk to your fetus. Earlier it was widely used but now not so common. It is done when the risk of a birth defect or disease is higher than the risk of the test. It is basically done to help you prepare if your fetus has a possible birth defect or to help you make a decision about ending the pregnancy if a serious problem is found.

Hello all the Amniocentesis is a prenatal diagnostic test which is done to get information about the fetus. This test is done by taking the sample of the amniotic fluid from the placenta and sent to the laboratory where the baby’s cells are examined.

This is an important test suggested for the pregnant women by the doctors, who have a family history with genetic disorders or already have a child before with abnormalities or some inherited conditions. This test indicates the exact condition of the baby.

Hi everybody the test of Amniocentesis is taken by the pregnant women in between the 15th and 18th week of pregnancy. This is not a part of the routine test and is done if the gynaecologist has suggested to do. This test is recommended if the fetus has chances of developing certain genetic or chromosomal disorders.

This test is majorly done to know whether the unborn child has the genetic condition of Down’s syndrome. This test when done can identify the inherited blood conditions as well like thalassaemia, sickle cell disease, haemophilia. There are even more disorders like spina bifida and cystic fibrosis which can be detected by the test.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    In this test the obstetrician inserts a needle through the abdomen in the stomach a takes a small sample of the amniotic fluid from the placenta. This procedure is mostly painless and hardly takes 10 minutes to complete fully. There is no requirement of anaesthesia as it is simpler than taking a blood sample.

The doctors have said that this procedure is absolutely safe and risk free and the chance of risk is about only 1% in a 100% of having any miscarriage. There are extremely rare chances of having an infection. The chances are very rare that the baby or the mother might get injured during the injection or there might be other complications like preterm labour. There is no need to worry for all this.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    There are very rare cases where the mother might spot some bleeding through the vagina or also feel the fluid coming out of the vagina, have pain in the back or in the stomach, start having contractions or also feel shivery and have high temperature, if so then take medical help in the hospital or clinic you are doing the test.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The results are mostly quit accurate and the test sample can be examined in two ways in which one gives an overview of the abnormality and is available in few days. The other way gives a full analysis of the result which takes a week or two. You can decide which result you want and discuss the further problem with your consulting doctor and make decisions.