+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Birth Defects and Disorders: Causes, Testing and Treatments

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Birth Defects and Disorders: Causes, Testing and Treatments

What factors cause birth defects and disorders in babies? What are the different types of birth defects and disorders that affect newborn babies? Would you undergo genetic testing to check if your unborn baby suffers from birth defects?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 27-12-2018 at 12:44 PM.

Arushi Sahai's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    I had a normal pregnancy and a normal delivery but my baby was born with a cleft lip and palate. Nobody in my family has this problem so I was literally thinking why me. Birth defects seem a mystery to me since there is no such case in our family history. Could someone tell me the cause.

Shweta Kale's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Sad but true very often the cause of a birth defect is unknown. It may be caused by hereditary factors, by environmental influences that affect the fetus in the mother's womb, or by a combination of factors. Pregnant women who consume excessive amounts of alcohol during the early stages of pregnancy risk having babies with fetal alcohol syndrome. German measles (rubella) can cause deafness, blindness, and heart defects in the newborn. Sexually transmitted diseases also can be transmitted to the fetus or to the newborn at birth. So there may be different reasons for birth defects. As for cleft lip and cleft palate causes, I do not have much knowledge

Yeah Shweta is right. There are many unknown causes of birth defects. Certain medications have been linked to birth defects.poor nutrition and the age of the mother are also reasons for birth defects. So the best way is not to worry if you do not have a family history of a disease, instead have a healthy diet and good daily routine in your pregnancy. It pays much better to be aware of factors that can cause defects.

There are so many babies who are born with birth defect and disorders every day in India. The birth defects vary from being severe to minor. These disorders affect the baby’s physical and mental appearance, development and organ functioning.

Hi all, it is important to know that not all birth defects and disorders are harmful to the baby. Mostly birth defects take place within the first three months of the pregnancy which is the developmental phase of the baby.

Siya Gandhi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Some of the birth defects require long term treatment whereas some do not require treatments. Mostly birth defects are caused due to genetic reasons, behaviours or exposure to chemicals, medicines or any environmental factors. The exact reason for the cause is unknown.

Hi, one reason being the genetic reason where the abnormality is passed to the baby from the mother or the father if they have it. A defect which is present in the family might pass on to the baby.

Sonia Roy's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    The non-genetic causes for the birth defect can be like drinking, smoking, taking drugs which can be reasons for the defects. Other things like exposure to the environmental toxins, infections or medications can also cause risk. If the mother has a medical history like diabetes that can also affect the baby.

Fatima Shreen's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hello, all the pregnant mothers have a risk of delivering a baby with disorders are who have family history of birth defects, who smoke, consume alcohol, take drugs, who are above the age of 35 years. Even mothers who do not take enough prenatal care can have babies with birth defects

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    There are several birth defects which take place structurally or metabolically. In structural defect a specific body part is not properly formed or missing and there are defects like heart defects, spina bifida, heart defects, clubfoot. Metabolic defects have abnormalities in the genes or chromosomes and defects like breathing problems, movement problems, feeding problems are caused.

Hi, the treatment for thses defects depend on the severity and type of defect. Some defects get better with medications, some defects have to be treated with surgeries and therapies, some defects can be treated by taking proper care at home.