+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water and Other Liquids in Addition to Breastmilk

IndiaParenting's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Water and Other Liquids in Addition to Breastmilk

Should newborns be given water in addition to breast milk? What is the reason for delaying the introduction of water to a breastfed baby? When is water introduced to a baby?
    To read the related article, click here.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 06-09-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Newborns need to be breastfed exclusively for first few months. all their requirements are met from breast milk. My mother used to tell me to give my newborn water that is boiled and cooled but my doctor used to say that it was not needed, so i was a confused mother. I used to breastfeed my baby and sometimes give him boiled and cooled water.

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    A breastfed baby does not need water. Breastmilk has sufficient water to quench the thirst of the baby. giving water to the baby can lead to infections and small babies are delicate with a poorly developed immune system. so i think that it is best to delay giving water to babies who are breastfed.

Newborns do not need water while being breast fed. they are only to be be given water when they start on solids. I am a mother to a year old daughter. Luckily I had my mother and in-laws to guide me throughout the pregnancy and after childbirth. My mother and mother-in-law both advised against giving water during the initial months. After about 5 months, I started giving some liquids such as juices and clear soups. Then when my baby started on solids, I gave him water which was boiled with fennel seeds.