+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keeping a toddler busy

Shilpa Sethi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries

Keeping a toddler busy

Being a parent sets a new responsibility and mentoring it adds a star to your profile named Life! Each day brings a new challenge and it’s a task for the soldier mom to rescue the child from situations he/she is facing. Whether it is a simple attempt to draw a line with crayon or a mission to finish food it takes a lot of patience for the parents to help a child accomplish his goal and clap in appreciation for him each time.
    There is a trend of working mothers in the society with the desire to build self esteem and help bringing up family, we work at different profiles outside our homes, but a major job profile still remains is of being a Mother.
    This designation demands a lot from an individual to have traits like loving; caring; creative – as your job can demand dressing food to dress your child in fun attire ; hard working – as you might have to start as early as 6 in the morning till 12 at night ; a good listener ; should be able to answer all questions asked ; Highly patient – this is a major point as your cute co –workers can make you go crazy the list is long and its great to excel in maximum traits :P
    Me being a working mom share wonderful moments with my 3.6yrs old boy, and what counts the best is Patience -The mantra to be happy mom, because a child can make you go nuts in seconds and all it helps you to stop being nasty to your little angel.
    They say ‘Silence is gold’ but it’s not applicable when your child is involved in an activity alone in a room…that can be a call for troubles too .Engaging a child in various activities can help spare you from being a trigger of his Tantrums . I follow certain efforts to go along with my kid:
    • Crayons, drawing books and sometimes simple printouts of his favorite cartoons from internet can be a great help to make a child busy for hours.

• Spoil your child by doing some finger /hand paintings – they love making mess with colors, and you never know they can create a master piece in the process. But make sure they wear old clothes while doing it as it will be a pain for you in cleaning the clothes

• We get very conscious about our child getting dirty in mud while playing in a park, but we forget that we gain immunity from the mother earth and when all treatments fail in building up immunity in the child – doctors also ask to play in mud like sand pits. They a learn a lot too while playing in the sand, as they role play and work together this also provides an opportunity for story telling in the sand.
      Toddlers love the sand pit and will spend hours digging, building, scooping, carrying, molding, and scraping. There are dozens of great sand pit toys you can introduce, all of which help your child develop gross and fine motor skills. Playing in the sand provides opportunities for the children to develop their muscles when they dig, shovel, lift, carry, tunnel, and rake. These kinds of activities help develop the large muscles – gross motor. Pouring, sifting, molding, drawing, patting, and decorating all help exercise the smaller muscles – fine motor. Off course we should take care of the post play cleanliness of the child and avoid rainy seasons as it might give invitation to couple of bugs in the sand

• Blocks are another way to see another ‘bob the builder’ in making in your own home…I see my child constructing His Eiffel Tower and making dinosaurs out of his colorful blocks. And you see his thoughts converted into his own virtual figures. But make sure the blocks are big enough to avoid accidents as you can expect anything from a child :P

• Pretend play toys like Tools sets, doctor sets, and even kitchen sets can make your child pretend mending, curing and cooking jobs for you – each evening a new job for him.

• Basket in the net –table top game, tumbling monkeys, hungry hippos, this and other board games like jig saw puzzles, activity books can be fun too

• A basket ball net in the balcony can be a fun game for you and your child to spend time, which can easily be changed from throwing up making a basket to kicking it for a foot ball

• Bat ball playing is the all-time favorites for children

• Reading out stories from picture books too can be a good time pass, they learn a lot when you read out stories from the book and later can frame out their own from the pictures they see

Gadgets like Tabs; smart phones, video games, televisions should be last in your list and should be used as a master weapon if nothing works out

A budding flower needs protection from harsh winds similarly our children needs protection from this harsh world. Each day is a new learning experience for your kiddo…
    So be on your toes and enjoy this time of you and your kid’s life. Because this is not coming back and once they grow up, they will be too busy to spend time with you.

Wow! thanks for your brilliant ideas!

Smartphones are actually a big problem for me. whenever my child or nieces/nephews are bored, they grab my precious iphone and play with their sticky fingers

I am planning to buy a tablet for my child. its very educational.

I wanted to ask you something about keeping a toddler busy.
    my cousin is planning to leave his son (5 years old) with me for the weekend when he and his wife are going out of town. he is a super brat and very stubborn. his own parents never yell at him, so he wont listen to me, thats for sure.

can you suggest some activities that will keep him busy..? we have a dog who he loves, so my dog will keep him occupies for a little while..and my daughter will also be around. but he makes her cry in like half an hour, because he wants whatever she isplaying with or hits her or something. like i said, BIG BRAT!

so any suggestions will help!

Thanks!
    - chandni
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 02-07-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Shilpa Sethi's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi..
    Thanks for your appreciation...
    2 days with a brat and your lil kiddo will be a big time :P still you can manage it well by thinking itself - yes we can do it together
    - you can ask the parents of the child to drop his favorite games, cards, toys, or movie DVD along while leaving the child behind, so that couple of hours can be driven with things he is comfortable with.
    - involving the child in activities where lot of energy is required like gardening, visit to a park near where he can run around or a similar sport can make him tired...which can then keep his naughty thoughts away from teasing your child and he can sleep well to at night, as a child despite of being too close to you - away from his parents can be difficult to take care at night.
    -Board games with you involved can be fun for kids and you too, and your involvement will unlikely keep the other child harm your kid.
    - and yes, a good animated movie with popcorn for the kids can be a good entertainment for all...a 2-3 hour involvement

Hope the tips helps you out , wish you a happy weekend!
    You are doing a good job pleasing and helping out the other child to be close to you when his parents are away! God Bless.
    Last edited by IndiaParenting; 02-07-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Keeping a toddler busy - It depends on the location and the situation. Sometimes by encouraging your kid to play with another kid makes them busy. While traveling, it is essential to carry things what he or she likes. May be a tablet loaded with all beautiful anime songs. I see parents are becoming more wise these days to make the toddlers busy so that they can enjoy their time playing or listening to songs or rhymes.

luckily for me, my child loves reading. I give him books from my collection, sometimes he brings classics from his Orchids school library and thumbs through them quietly
    Last edited by Vishesh Shrivastava; 05-02-2014 at 02:39 PM.

I came across a very good article that has tips for activities that can be done with the kids. Having a set of activities provides exposure to kids and is crucial for their physical,mental and intellectual growth.Below article is very helpful to keep toddlers busy. Please read -

http:// www. alwaysaboutkids. com/ content/ how-keeping-your-toddler-busy-indoors

It still depends on how old the baby is. You can get used to different sports from a young age. Trampolines, educational toys, balls, and the like

My child is 2 years old and we bought a small trampoline for him, He holds on to the railing with his hands and jumps. This amuses him and even calms him down. They put it in front of the TV. He watches cartoons and so amuses himself. We chose a trampoline thanks to this site https://trampolines.guide/ . I hope I helped you.