+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Head shaved at tirupati

Head shaved at tirupati

I went to tirupati with my family last week & had a vow to head shave. So, we decided to get done at our guest house but the timing was 6am-6pm so, we missed the opportunity. Later we went to Kalyanakatta where 24hrs headshave is done & we stayed in que. Later in the que TTD distributed a half blader & a coupon to get shave. We have to go to perticular Sl. No. barber & there will be que again. I waited in que & there were almost 7-8 perople infront of me. Barber was shaving one by one within 4-5 min each. Later it was my turn barber asked me to wet my hair. I took water & poured on my head to make it wet. Later I gave coupon with some money & he kept it aside. Later I sat down, he asked me to bend front. He inserted half blade in the razor & started to shave from the middle portion towards front. It was a smooth & cool feeling for me. After that he shaved at the back side, then turned my head right side & shaved left. Finally he turned my head left side to shave at right. At last he just moved razor all over to make shave smooth. After this he asked me whether to shave mustaches also & I said yes. O, he shaved my beard & mustaches also. He said its over & stood up & cleaned my head.

There are huge lines in Tirupati for Head shave right? I dont understand why particularly Tirupati is supposed to be the place where we shave our heads..can you explain pls?

Ishika Seth's Avatar Member
    Blog Entries
    That is because Tirupati is a very religiously significant place. Here - read this link and you will understand more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tirumal...teswara_Temple

When Lord Balaji was hit on his head by a shepherd, a small portion of his scalp became bald. This was noticed by Neela Devi, a Gandharva princess. She felt "such an attractive face should not have a flaw". Immediately, she cut a portion of her hair and, with her magical power, implanted it on his scalp. Lord Balaji noticed her sacrifice. As hair is a beautiful asset of the female form, he promised her that all his devotees who come to his abode would offer their hair to him, and she would be the recipient of all the hair received. Hence, it is believed that hair offered by the devotees is accepted by Neela Devi. The hill, Neeladri, one of the seven hills, is named after her.

Many devotees have their head tonsured as "Mokku", an offering to God. The daily amount of hair collected is over a ton. The hair thus gathered is sold by the temple organisation a few times a year by public auction to international buyers for use as hair extensions and in cosmetics, bringing over $6 million to the temple's treasury. This is the second highest income generating activity in the temple next to the Hundi Collection.

Nice experience

Wow 6 $ million a year is really a lot .
    I believed that Balaji took loan from gods in order to marry Laxmiji for a pompus marriage and hence he promised that his devotees will pay the debt in form of hair .