Mariam Dsouza

Bridging generation gap with my teenage daughter

Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
“Blessed are the families who have a daughter”- My father always said that. I attributed it to his love for me. So, when I got pregnant, I wanted to reciprocate the same love. My husband wanted the first child to be a girl. It seems God listened to us. I gave birth to a cuddly, sweet, healthy girl child. The day she was born I started to relate to her. Dressing her, choosing accessories for her, selecting baby lotions for her, these were not my errand ever, it was something I loved to pursue. I loved seeing her grow. She was the apple of my eye. I found my best friend in her. Loved to play the games tic tac toe, making Barbie houses, playing kitchen games. I enjoyed teaching her ABC. I cherished reading books with her (Pepper, Bubbles, Barbie and Dora the explorer). It was all going fine, rather great.

And then suddenly one day I started feeling she does not love me. Her cuddly hugs were transformed to, “You don’t understand”. Her “I love you” was no more heard. I missed those constant “Mumma! Mumma! I need this and I need that” phrases. My daughter Alisha has entered the teenage phase. I should be happy about it, but instead I was apprehensive. Her hormones were working against me. It was not an easy phase. And as usual I called up my mother (the God of my life!). She laughed on hearing about my state. Then she narrated me that how she had gone with the same when I was a teenager. It is normal for the teenagers to have their own ideas about everything and anything. It is also absolutely fine that their likes and dislikes change.

Me, who was till now, speculated and apprehensive about the pace started trying to find a solution. When there is a problem there is always a solution (the lock and key theory). And I started implementing them in my life. Needless to say, even when there are times when I and my daughter don’t understand each other, we have somehow managed to pull against the generation gap.

So, for all you lovely mothers of teenage daughters, here are the tips tried and tested:-
  • 1. Give her some space- that constant nagging which I called my super caring attitude had to go away. I use to have a say on every dress she wore and every book she read. But, gradually I started giving her space. I felt that I should be confident about my upbringing. She will not do anything which is inappropriate. Let her explore the life she likes. And if I see her stepping on the wrong stone, I am there for her.

• 2. Talk to her- this one was tedious. It was because her most of the time was either studying or glued to her Smartphone or reading book. So, I used to make sure that I finished all my work, before she came back from school. I tried to talk to her. I did not interrogate her, but simply share my experiences in a fun way.

• 3. Know her friends- it’s not really a safe world out there. Hence, with all the freedom I gave her, I made sure that a tab is kept on her FB friends, her instagram pics and her whatsapp chats. And this I did after letting her know. No sneaking. Just simple and short “I want to know who you are acquainted with”.

So far it has been really nice! And I hope it will be the same till she reaches another new phase of her life. Wherein, I promise to be her best friend and not just a guide.

Updated 06-09-2016 at 01:01 PM by Mariam Dsouza

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Parenting & Pregnancy

Comments

A generation gap is a gap in which there is much difference in thinking or opinions it basically create by the people. but it’s a common issue in our society and my math genius teen ager girls are complete with their mothers about different view points.
    Pretty useful update for the ladies and they can grab here the trusted updates by experts as well. I have read the best paper writing services whole update about the pregnancy and that would be wise. The ladies should take care of themselves during pregnancy and avoid to use the medicine of any kind.
    I personally use them exclusively high-quality elements : you will notice these folks during: Tree removal
    The fact that this site https://es.altoextractpdf.com/faq offers awesome services. Is the biggest reason why I am hooked to this amazing site. Plus they have never dissapointed me at any point, to be very honest.
    Thanks for your tried and tested tips. Very helpful. ACCESSELITE anywhere
    I have bookmarked your website because this site contains valuable information in it. I am really happy with articles quality and presentation. Thanks a lot for keeping great stuff. I am very much thankful for this site. how is there 52 weeks in a year
    Gujarat Board conducts the SSC board and HSC board examination for Class 10 and Class 12 to examine the knowledge and academic progress of students and promote them to a higher level. Students are advised to get familiar with the GSEB syllabus details thoroughly before starting GCERT 8th Class Syllabus preparing for the examination. The syllabus is one of the most important element to prepare for an exam. Here is the entire syllabus of Gujarat Secondary Education Board (Class X) and HSC (Class XII) examination. Students should check the entire GSEB new syllabus carefully and start preparing for their exam.
    When you are surfing the web occasionally I have discovered a website this really is particularly thought invoking such as this one. I wanted to share that I found the content on your website has been highly interesting and I learned new things. I will be sure to look for your upcoming post.. Many thanks for this fantastic write-up I will come again soon. Mayfair Franchise
    I have a similar interest this is my page read everything carefully and let me know what you think. pmil.in/
    I recommend only good and reliable information, so see it: hasta yatağı
    So it is interesting and very good written and see what they think about other people. hasta yatağı
    I use basically superior fabrics : you will discover these products by: 여유증 수술
    So lot to occur over your amazing blog. Your blog procures me a fantastic transaction of enjoyable.. Salubrious lot beside the scene. mont
    For many people this is the best solution here see how to do it. ดูหนังออนไลน์
    It is rather very good, nevertheless glance at the data with this handle. cranial cervical instability
    If you are looking for top academic writing uk? Assignment Homework offers a full range of academic writing services like research essay, dissertation, and more.
    it's really nice and meanful. it's really cool blog. Linking is very useful thing.you have really helped lots of people who visit blog and provide them usefull information. خرید فالوور اینستاگرام
    Hmm… I interpret blogs on a analogous issue, however i never visited your blog. I added it to populars also i’ll be your faithful primer. Güvenlik soruşturması nedir
    Initial You got a awesome blog .I determination be involved in plus uniform minutes. i view you got truly very functional matters , i determination be always checking your blog blesss. havuz kimyasalları
    İstanbul Bağcılar’daki hastanemizde alanında uzman doktorlar ile hijyenik hastane şartlarında vakumlu kürtajimkanı sunmaktayız. İstanbulda kürtaj ve istanbul kürtaj fiyatları hakkında bilgi almak için web sitemizi ziyaret edebilirsiniz.