Not only women but also men are affected by
infertility. Infertility can be
diagnosed in men through various signs and
symptoms. Read on to know more that signs of infertility in men and causes of
infertility in men.
Usually we hear about infertility and the relation
automatically gets set with women. Infertility
in men is rarely discussed or heard even. Well, the fact is that there are
a considerable number of men who suffer from fertility
problem. The main sign of infertility is that the couple is unable to
conceive a child even after trying for one year.
Unlike women, signs of infertility in men are not obvious.
When a couple is unable to conceive after having regular and unprotected
intercourse for more than a year, both man and woman should get the problem
Main Signs of Infertility
- Unable to Conceive a Child – This
is the most obvious sign that shows infertility in both, man and woman.
- Problems Related to Sexual Function
– This is felt when there is delayed ejaculation which leads to no orgasm
dysfunction which makes the man unable to perform well during the
process of intercourse.
- Pain or Swelling in the Testicle Area
– Sometimes there is pain or swelling which can be due to some infection
- Chromosomal or Hormonal Abnormality
– This is usually detected after some medical tests are done.
- Decreased Hair Growth on Body or Face
– Men suppose to have hair growth on face and body. If there is little or
no growth, it may be because of some fertility problem or so.
- Obesity or Being Underweight – Being
underweight usually means there is lack of proper nutrition in men or
women. On the other hand obesity is also considered as one of the main
causes behind infertility.
- Low Sex Drive – This is also one
of the signs that indicate fertility problem in men. However, the causes
might be a lot behind this.
- History of Sexual Problem – If you
have had any kind of sexual problem in past, it might affect your
- Groin, Testicles, Scrotum or Penis
Surgery – If due to any reason you had to undergo any of the surgeries
in past and you find difficulty in conceiving at present, see a doctor
The above symptoms or signs may or may not indicate
infertility in men. However, it is advisable that you see a doctor if you find
that your partner is finding difficulty in conceiving. It is always best to consult
a specialist if you have any such problem.
Causes of Infertility
- Smoking and Consuming Alcohol –
Any kind of drug is said to have direct impact on fertility problem in
both, men and women. Excessive consumption of alcohol
may lead to infertility.
- Caffeine and Others – It has been
observed that even excess
intake of caffeine or marijuana or cocaine leads to such problems.
- Occupational Factors – Exposure to
pesticides, some industry toxins and even exposure to heavy metals leads
to infertility in men.
- Lifestyle – Lot
of stress or lack of nutrition also affects the conceiving power of men
and women as well. There could be some other lifestyle factors that might
be responsible for not conceiving.
It has been observed that usually men suffer from
infertility because of lack of sperm count and lack of healthy sperms as well.
This can be detected only after semen analysis.
In some cases, infertility could be due to side effect of
some medicine taken in recent past or even because of the contraceptive
injections. However, as soon as the reason or problem is detected, get it
treated and build your own family.