You are here: Home > Message Boards > Beauty & Grooming >  Hair Care >sacred thread ceremony
Beauty & Grooming  Discussion Forum

Hair Care:sacred thread ceremony
2013-03-06
Name: divya recently my family decided that the sacred thread ceremony,also known as upanayanam would be held for my twin brother, raghav.mom and me decided that it had to be a proper and traditional ceremony,and all the rituals had to be conducted thoroughly,including the headshave(full bald except a tuft of hair known locally as kudimi),ear boring of the boy,begging for alms and the whole lot of rituals which last for 2 whole days.

i have some queries regarding raghav' s headshave and some miscellaneous doubts,could anyone please help me,

first of all,can the headshave be done in a saloon or is it necessary that it has to be done in a temple?also is a one time headshave enough or should it be done regularly?

then,for what duration should we make him wear the earrings and any restrictions on the make of earrings etc?

what should he wear during the ceremony?(i have seen many boys wearing only loincloth during the ceremony,so should it be that?)

being his twin sister(though i am elder) what is my role in the ceremony?

what if raghav hesitates or refuses to undergo the rituals?,should we force the rituals on him?(me being stronger,he obeys me)

since last month we have banned non veg items for raghav(including egg) ,is there anything more we have to do ? and me being a hard core non veg eater,i feel bad for raghav!

can the ear piercing be done before the headshave or is there any specific order?

how long must ragahavs hair be,so that after the headshave,the length of kudimi is correct?

i would like to make raghav wear some jewelleries,what do you think?

thank you

Subscribe to this conversation Reply Anonymously

2017-07-12
Name: anuradha
Subject:  RE:sacred thread ceremony
hello divya,
there is no need to get excited being nude during this ceremony its part of this function, but being nude its depend on age of boy, so its not compulsory for every boy .
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2017-07-12
Name: nisha
hello divya,
as per my knowledge in this ceremony, the brahmin boy allowed to keep only little tuft of hair on head, and all remaining head should be shave, and its look good also.
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2017-07-12
Name: anuradah
hello divya,
i m really very shocked to know your desire to see your brother nude, so its not look good and your brother also feel shy in front of his sister he got nude, so dont feel excitement in this.

2017-07-12
Name: sunita
hello divya,
the head shave you talk about its done in temple only like at temple particular place, where the person who want to give hair to god, then can give, so its good thing, and no one
can force to anyone to do this.

2017-07-12
Name: anushka
hello divya,
first of all congratulations for you brother for this ceremony.i really dont understand why you are show excitement to see your brother naked and you are more interested in see his private part.

2016-03-02
Name: Saloni
headshave should be done in temple and raghav if ur brother is not so comfortable with doing piercing then u should not force him, he agrees then there is no such time limit that he should wear earings he can left wearing earing after the 5 days of ceremony also.u should avoid eating on non veg all the people in the house. his hair should be at least 2 inches long for the kudimi. u cann give him chain to wear and rings in the hand.

2016-02-15
Name: maya
Subject:  hi
headshave should be done in temple but if raghav ur brother is not so comfortable with doing piercing then u should not force him to do if he agrees then there is no such time limit that he should wear earings he can left wearing earing after the 5 days of ceremony also. it is not necessary to done headshave regularly. yes boys do wear orange or yellow colord pants and lioncloth. u might not have any role in the upanayana as he has his twin sister. u should avoid eating on non veg all the people in the house. his hair should be at least 2 inches long for the kudimi. u cann give him chain to wear and rings in the hand.

2013-07-11
Name: Prathik
Subject:  
Hi Divya, here is the first brave boy to comment on your thread. First of all my hearty congratulations to your brother for the ceremony he will undergo in few weeks time. Secondly, why are you so eager to see your bother naked and excited to see his parts? In one of your comments you mentioned \" I simply like the way his parts look!\" Does it mean you already seen his parts before?? How old is your brother?? Hope his parts aren' t too big to scare off everyone!

2013-07-12
Name: divya
Subject:  
dear prathik
thank you,atlast a boy commented :P.raghav is my younger brother and ofcourse i have seen him nude,i think he looks very cute that way,you have to be in the shoes of a sister and that too an elder sister to understand that.
Msg Objection   Go to Top

2013-07-12
Subject:  
dear prathik
thank you,atlast a boy commented :P.raghav is my younger brother and ofcourse i have seen him nude,i think he looks very cute that way,you have to be in the shoes of a sister and that too an elder sister to understand that.

2013-07-10
Subject:  
i m back!,the ceremony is to be held in 2 weeks,and i can' t control my excitement.thanks for all your comments.I also noticed not a single boy has commented here,are boys afraid?anyways,I ll be posting soon

2013-06-14
Name: Sameera
Subject:  Headshave ceremony @ divya
I am shocked to know that you desire to see your brother nude. This a shocking thing which can happen in any head shave ceremony. I am also shocked to know that you guys will be permanently making the poor guy bald...i feel sad for the poor boy who will have to undergo all this things...Head-shave is find but I shocked to know about permanent head removal.

2016-02-15
Name: seema
Subject:  hi
is she really doing all thiese things? i doubt. i don't think so. she have any bad intentions

2013-06-16
Name: sowmya
Subject:  understanding
dear sameera
there is nothing to be shocked,during the sacred thread ceremony the boy is expected to be in a virgin,pure state because the ceremony denotes the second birth of the boy.hence physically the boy has to be nude,nothing wrong with it.
a brahmin boy is allowed to keep only a little tuft of hair known as kudimi.rest of his head MUST BE BALD.hence his head shaved weekly or so,which might be a bit tiring.hence hair removal techniques will be easier.

2013-06-14
Subject:  ceremony is in one and half months
The sacred thread ceremony for my brother is to be held in 1 and half months,all preparations are going in full swing.Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.I will give an update as to what is happening.when asked by my mom if i would like to perform the ceremonies i said a big \" YES\" ,so my lap will be the place where raghav' s head will be shaved,ears will be pierced and some other rituals would be performed.the headshave and other rituals are to be done in the hall itself.
Now,about raghav,he has more than shoulder length hair.we have put two plaits with a center part to his hair.we have bought all the jewels required for him,i will post that in another post.also after his head shave we have decided to do a permanent hair removal procedure for his head hair,so that he would be bald always and regular headshaves would not be required,what to do you think of it?.also we still have to decide what clothes would raghav wear ,if at all he would be allowed to wear clothes for the ceremony.i personally prefer him to be in the nude,because i simply like the way his parts look !:p
and i can have pleasure teasing him.also i have had a lot of fun these days and expecting more! will post about the jewellery experiences and more next

2013-03-31
Name: priya
Subject:  your choice !
there are 3 methods for doing upanayanam,one is doing just for the sake of it,the second doing it in detail,the third taking it to the extreme,so the choice is with you and your mom,recently my nephew had his upanayanam done and it was absolute in the sense that every ritual was done COMPLETELY and not just for namesake.i completely relished it,so it is YOUR choice though i would definitely recommend the 3rd choice,

it doesn' t really matter,usually the boys are shaved at the place where the ceremony takes place in front of everyone.after the removal of hair,you can apply any hair remover on his bald head,it will give a smooth and shiny look and it will be nicer to touch as well and delay the onset of new hair

atleast till a nice big hole appears in his lobes.any earrings which suit him well will do.

as minimal clothing as possible,it would be better if he was in a pure state,ie nude.

you will essentially control what all things(rituals) are done on the boy,and ofcourse have good food and have fun!

physical force makes boys to become sissies

shoulder length hair would be correct.

definitely some jewellery is required as the boy is atmost allowed to wear a piece of cloth,thus making him look plain.my nephew who was clothed in a one piece loincloth looked plain,so an entire bridal set was used on him.so you can also put something like that

2013-03-25
Name: Tia
Subject:  @ krithika
Thank you sooo mcuh... now i no what it means..

2013-03-24
Name: sindhuja
Subject:  opinion
i feel it is better to do the head shaving in a temple,because it is more authentic and proper shaving using a blade is done unlike a parlor where trimmers are used,you could also do the shaving in the hall/wherever you are going to perform the ceremony.

wearing the earrings is very beneficial ,so as long as possible he should be made to wear the earrings.if your brother hesitates/protests wearing the earring,with the help of a goldsmith,you can the solder the earrings to his ear,thus making it impossible to remove.by make do you mean type? any type of earrings is permitted,but go for traditional,heavy ones as they are long lasting and robust.

for the headshave he HAS to be naked,but for the rest he can wear a loincloth,or if you want he can be made naked,though he will definitely feel shy .also the loincloth must be of silk.

you have to bless him,and you can do the rituals directly on him,if you are interested.

take him on your knee,drop his pants,and
couple of hits later,i am sure he will listen to you.

he must not take alcohol,also masturbation is strictly banned.

you can probably make him anklets and if you want more piercings can be made in his lobe,at the maximum 3 earrings,on each side

2013-05-24
Name: Pavan
Subject:  Sacred thread rules and regulations
Hi Sinduja, I had my upanayanam in the 2nd week of this month and followed all rituals with utmost sincerity. Along with me, there were few more people (distant relatives) who done their thread ceremony. But none of us wore lion cloth or got naked. We just put on a lungi sort of thing and sat down to perform the rituals. BTW, are you absolutely sure that masturbation is completely banned? I already done once and your statement scared the pants off me. Please throw some light on this matter. If done mistakenly what would be the course of action to be taken?

2013-03-21
Name: tia
Subject:  please tell me what is Upanayanam
Friends i really dont have any knowledge about what you all are talking.. please explain me what is Upanayanam
Pages >>  1  2 

All tips on Beauty & Grooming
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
sacred thread ceremony

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Beauty & Grooming
& Answers to Topic :
sacred thread ceremony

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Beauty & Grooming
& Answers to Topic :
sacred thread ceremony

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Expecting Parents
Parents of Babies
Last 7 Posts of this Board
RE:Shaved girl with a tuft
hello minisha,
initially you can get negative as well as positive comment from people, but its your choice and if you feel happy in this, so you can carry this hairstyle confidently you can. try this once.... - ganesh [View Message]
hello minisha,
are you serious and plane to do this hair cut, but its perfectly fine with girls, i saw girls who kept tuft on her crown after head shave, so its not bad also, you just try it and take a look.... - pinky [View Message]
hello minisha,
i have not seen any girl who is keep tuft on shave head, i dont think its look good, but you carry this confidently then its on you, you will get many people comments on that.... - nilima [View Message]
hello minisha,
are you planning to do this thing, so its great thing, you should take experience once, so you will get idea about all this, also do whatever you feel right nothing else.... - harsha [View Message]
hello minisha,
are you planning to do this, so you done headshave, how was your experience, and how you feel after done this, it you get too many bad reaction on that, shave your tuft off and go clean bald.... - pooja [View Message]
RE:Repeat Gundu
hello geeta,
being bald or shave full head its need guts and braveness, its not easy to shave head to girl, because in women hair is attractive things and that she remove so its so painful feeling.... - rajat [View Message]
RE:Repeat Gundu
hello geeta,
i was done head shave in three years before, and that time i was felt so much relax, and light weight on head, so i feel emptyness on head, so it was great experience for me.... - divya [View Message]