You are here: Home > Message Boards > Relationships >  Joint Family >Something you are proud of having done t
Relationships  Discussion Forum

Joint Family:Something you are proud of having done this year?
2007-08-19
Name: Ritika I started this topic to discuss something that you have done this year that you were proud of.

A moment you cherished and were happy and proud about.

Our Indian culture tells us women to be self effacing all the time but I think it is important to celebrate those occasions where you felt a sense of accomplishment and pride.

It could be something as simple as being able to finish a book that you started, learning to drive, or to cook..maybe you graduated..or maybe you learnt to tackle your dreaded MIL or SIL...or finally were able to lose some weight...

It is all the more important for those women who have spouses and in -laws who keep demeaning them...in order to maintain their self esteem and self worth.

So go ahead and brag..we' ll listen and cheer you on...

:)

Let me start off first.

I' m proud of 2 things this year -
1) I joined a volunteer organization called VIBHA that works for the upliftment of destitute children in India. I had been wanting to do something for a long time (speciallly after having become a mother, the motherly instinct had really kicked in I guess) but never actually did anything about it. Finally about a month back, I lifted the phone and called the relevant people up and volunteered my services.

I have just started but it feels nice...

2) the second thing I am happy and proud about was joining the gandhigiri movement in US this year to eliminate the delay and huge backlogs in green card process. Just sending flowers to the director of immigration dept made me have that feeling of satisfaction that at least I denoted my protest...

That' s all for now my end...looking forward to hearing from you all...

For those of you who read this forum but never post, please put in a post because posting is a lot of fun and after you do a few, it can get really addictive..

If you don' t think the topic is interesting enough, then no probs...let' s brainstorm and think of some other topic that everybody can enjoy...

Subscribe to this conversation Reply Anonymously

2007-08-29
Name: Shravani
Subject:  Good start
well, all of you are doing a lot of wonderful things. Even I did my little bit. I also have a neighbour back in India who is 35 yrs old and is still unmarried. So I decided to helo him and added his profile to many matrimonial sites. I searched a lot of matching brides for him and did all the emailing . He is still looking , but is grateful for my efforts. This inspired me so much that i started my own matrimonial website for maharashtrians which is totally free, no fees. I am getting a good response and hope that I can help the community with my efforts. When I had been to India this summer, I gave all my daughters and sons old but good clothes to the maid there. I want to do much more, and this post has surely inspired me .
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2007-08-30
Name: Ritika
Subject:  Congrats!!
Dear Shravani,

You are one very enterprising lady and I´ m very impressed by you!! Starting your own business that in turn helps others - what more can one ask for...
Good people like you reassert my belief in humanity and that goodness still lives in this world!

All the best for your future endeavors!!

Ritika
Msg Objection   Go to Top

2007-08-24
Name: Purvi
Subject:  very nice topic
Hi Ritika,

Your topic made me forget my complains and think actually what I enjoyed and accomplished rather than complaining. Its not like our life if perfect, has lots of problems in marital relation, but we both are very good parents. Its stress probably that we are not able to give personal time to each other.

We have two young ones (1 year old and 3 year old) and a business and both of us working full time and are in U.S., so you can imagine the stress.

1)Things that I think i am doing good, are we have a storytime at night, and tell my son different stories (from what i know or read) and read a book, make sure i make hot meal for my kids, take them to library, take them to lots of socials in weekends (either at my home or someone' s else). Also give shower to kids twice (in the morning and bedtime) Thinking of adding few more activities for kids like gym class and soccer. Also, have started meditation class and exercise last weekend for myself :)

2)Donate online to Pratham,CRY, Purpleheart, Police dept etc and many other organisations that call me. Am cleaning up my closet this weekend to donate clothes.

3) Something that I also wanted to mention is I had hired a maid for cleaning one day, she is pregnant, and i couldn' t see her doing the work. Gave her all my maternity clothes, formula, baby carrier (that i had never used, could easily return if i want to), vitamins etc and even told her that i can pay her in advance if she don' t wish to continue cleaning homes till baby is born)

4) I used to volunteer a lot before kids, lately there was an org looking for volunteers and as usual they emailed me, but I forwarded it to people in my company whom i thought will be interested and indirectly helped organization to find volunteers.

I work continuously since I am up and still feel guilty that I am not able to do much for kids as am working fulltime. Your post make me think of things I am actually doing and not realizing or appreciating it :)

You know what, I am thinking that why am I mentioning the charitywork I am doing....I shall not mention it as then its useless...I have read somewhere \" When you lend a hand, make sure even your other hand dont' know about it\" :)

Well, I am still thinking to post this or not ?????

Purvi

Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2007-08-25
Dear Purvi,

I am so glad you liked this thread. :)

reading about all the good that you have done, I am so proud of being an Indian in the US. :)

Thanks for mentioning about the various organizations that you donate to. It might help some of us go in that direction too. :)

Your active participation in the community shows what a wonderful human being you are and will be an excellent role model for your kids!

And I bet your maid is a happy one. That is extremely generous of you and I´ m touched by your sincerity in showing her so kindness. If I was there, I would give you a hug! :)

Bless you!

2007-08-23
Name: sonu
Subject:  My son
Hi

In the last year i have dont alot...I gave birth to my beautiful son who is a year old now after 5 days of labour and then a c-section. I managed to do eveyrthing by myself after birth...look after my son, cook, move house, clean etc and today i look back an i have achieved so much. I am now back to work aswell while my son is with a childminder. I would just like to congratulate all mums that have given birth as its not easy but yes they are alot of rewards.

Take care

2007-08-25
Dear Sonu,

Congrats on becoming a mom!! I had a comparatively short labor than yours so I can´ t even imagine how you went thru those 5 days...Wow! You are one super woman to have endured so much. And they call us the weaker sex!

After reading on how you managed everything alone, I would like to just bow to you...seriously, you´ ve done an amazing job!! That also after a C-Section. Hats off to you!!

And a very Happy Birthday to your son from all of us.. :)

2007-08-23
Name: Tamanna
Subject:  nice efforts ritika
first of all accept my heartiest wishes for nice effirts!!!!
though small thing but just wanted to share Well i gave warm clothes , toys, books to my maids kids
Secondly i gave birth to my sweet little daughter which i feel is one of most important thing in life
A Colleouge of mine was not getting married for past 10 years and was already 35 years old ( no parents and bro/bhabhi were not interested ) I took the initiative and after lots of pain and hard work finely found a great match for her in my own company … she finely got married to that decent nice guy and is now she expecting …. she is so happy and beaming with joy now a days . I feel extremely good for her god bless her and her small family
Love
Tamanna

2007-08-25
Hi Tamanna,

Thanks for the wishes!! :)

And kudos to you for spreading so much kindness all around the people you know.

Congrats on being a second time mom!!:) That is like a full time job in itself..On top of which you have been working also. You are an amazing woman Tamanna!! Wow!!

I am amazed at your perseverance and selfless act in getting your 2 colleagues married. I think your colleague has already sent you some heartfelt wishes..and let me add to them. :)

With warm regards,
Ritika

2007-08-23
Name: Radhika
Subject:  Thanks
Hey Ritika! Thanks, for the reply, and I just hope that the problems in their lives settle down and they go back to their homes...

2007-08-23
Subject:  Re:
Amen to that! Hope they get some peace at the twilight of their life.

2007-08-22
Name: Radhika
Subject:  Felt Nice
Me and my 2 year old daughter had been to an oldage fe months back. It was a casual visit to that oldage home, but what i saw there was so disturbing! The old people, at that age, were so disturbed becuase of their own children. It may be because of various reasons that they were staying there. But the very next week, I initiated the cause in our residential society where I stay and collected some good warm clothes, some kgs of food and lots of wishes and we all went to that oldage home. The smile on the old people was so cute... all those grannys and grandpas were playing with us, our kids, and we all had a good time for soemtime.

When the manager there spoke to me about this, he told us earlier it was not the same atmosphere here, people there were always cribbing about what had happened to them but now he has got a feeling that it will change soon.

We have decided to visit them every month.

Not a very big job, but could atleast bring a smile.

2007-08-22
Dear Radhika,

Your message touched me so much!

You have a golden heart and you are a superb role model for your daughter!!

I really hope your post about visiting old age homes and brightening up old people´ s lives gives the impetuous to some others to do the same.

Such a selfless act is indeed praise worthy!! Congrats and take care...!!

2007-08-21
Name: Saheli
Subject:  re:
I dont remember doing anything good like that this year :(

All i remember is giving my baby' s clothes to the beggars who carry babies and beg, and I hate to see the children in that condition.

Good to see people doing so many good things. Looks like I need to wake up!

Ritika/Manee .. please pick up another good topic when you think this is done! This is constructive, in addition to helping our other friends here with their issues!

2007-08-21
Hi Saheli,

Your generosity is truly commendable..because in a nation like India where there is so much poverty around, it is easy to become immune to it.

Babies are babies. All babies deserve love, attention, food and shelter.

What you gave Saheli, would provide at least one little baby with clothes for some time...it is after all one drop at a time that fills a bucket...

Just as an analogy - You cannot feed all the hungry in the world, but if you can feed even one hungry person, that is one human being who got enough to eat today..and I think that in itself is a truly nice thing...

2007-08-21
Name: peppy
Subject:  Saving water
Am in India and started sending mailers to my group regarding tips on saving water.
And am consciously doing an effort to keep it at a pace.

This is also a request to all the readers, please save water and recycle it wherever you can.

Cheers
Anshu

2007-08-21
Hi Anshu,

That´ s a wonderful thing that you are doing!! To be socially aware and to make others aware of the water crisis and ways to conserve water is indeed commendable!!

We do not realize how precious water is until we read about people dying due to contaminated water or lack of access to water.

I hope all of us can start doing our little bit from this day onwards...

Thanks for reminding us of our social responsibility!!!

2007-08-20
Name: Megha
Subject:  caring for the environment
me and my hubby actively recycle the household waste i.e whereever possible the waste is dumped into the recycling bin..newspapers, cans, glass items etc. rather them throwing them away just like normal garbage. apart from this, we walk/use public transport whenevr possible rather than going by car. limit the use of plastic bags when shopping in a store. there is a lot one can do to save the environment..this is just a baby step.

2007-08-21
Subject:  That´ s wonderful!!
Dear Megha,

Caring for the environment is something that affects us all in a profound way so a very big THANKYOU to you!! It is people like you who will make a difference in whether we have cleaner air and water in future or not.

This is truly inspirational, and I hope others like me will go away from here with the idea that we should all contribute to making our environment a more healthier place to live in.

Plastic bags are something that cannot be easily destroyed. So we should use it as less as possible. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Personally I´ ll try to limit my use of them. And also recycle more..

Take care,
Ritika

It takes a lot of conscious effort to keep caring for the environment. And it is a

2007-08-20
Name: Manee
Subject:  another one
I have started deriving two wheeler and this is giving me sense of independence. Looking forward to drive the four wheeler(Have this road fhobia so not able to drive on busy roads)

2007-08-20
Manee, you rock!!

It took me a while to master the 4 wheeler on Indian roads from a 2 wheeler..so I understand your fear.

The good thing is that you are going to overcome it and learn to drive..

All the best!! and keep us posted abt when you become a road warrior!!

Pages >>  1  2 

All tips on Relationships
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
Something you are proud of having done this year?

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Relationships
& Answers to Topic :

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Relationships
& Answers to Topic :

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Expecting Parents
Parents of Babies
Last 7 Posts of this Board
sex in joint family
readers i am 44 yr old working lady having family and living in joint family with my bhabhi who is 48 we almost every minute things with each other and nothing hide even i easily rome in home in loose nighty and she also free with us and we maintained decency

one day we come from party and very tired and noticed both jethji and bhabhi doing fun and we sleep w... - konika [View Message]
Joint family problem
I'm in a bad phase of my life. I'm living in a joint family ( mil, fil, sip & her husband & her kid) even though my sil lives in upstairs she won't cook and food goes from here. My mil is very selfish and manipulative, she always supports her daughter and her son. My fil is such an annoying person who criticizes me all the time. There is no maid in our house. I do all the ... - Augnus Keysi [View Message]
RE:Mother In law controls money matters
Hello dear this is really sad to see that you are facing so many difficulties but then this is life and i think you should accept the fact and start preparing for yourself and start directing to yourself to be strong
enough to handle all the problems.... - Anita [View Message]
Oh dear what is going on and why are you not informing to your parents about the same as they can surely help you in this matter and can guide you properly that what can be done in this matter as well,please according to me you should speak to your parents right away.... - Anaida [View Message]
Oh dear this is really sad to see but then why are you not speaking up the same with your mother in law as she can might open up with you can tell you what is the exact problem and might then you both can remove some solutions about the same. All the best dear.... - Anu [View Message]
Oh my dear this is not going proper and i can see fishy things happening please be very clear with your husband as i feel that he is doing the same purposely and you are been cheated, please be very serious about this and you will come to know about the truth.... - Anushree [View Message]
Hey dear please be calm and relax and start investing money in mutual funds and you can also start with 500/- per month please start doing the same as you will get good benefits after some point of time, please take this seriously and you will get benefits for sure.... - Suman [View Message]