You are here: Home > Message Boards > Food Talk >  Vegetarian Food >pls help me in mkg chappathis
Food Talk  Discussion Forum

Vegetarian Food:pls help me in mkg chappathis
2007-08-05
Name: priya Iam from S.India.. i want to know how to make soft chapathis.. in my family, all love chappathis... but its not coming softly like how N.Indians do.. i made in diff ways... like
1.adding milk
2. adding only oil..
3.some said add only water no need for any other thing..
but all in vain.. its not at all soft..
my son tells his friends bring chappathis to school which r v.soft to eat.. but when he takes, it becomes v.hard and not able to eat..
PLEASE tell me from the beginning -- wat atta to use, how much water to use, whether to add oil/milk, how the flame shld be(low/high), whtehr to put in the direct flame to make it fluffy.. etc..
pls ladies.. help me out..
thanks in advance..

Subscribe to this conversation Reply Anonymously

2008-03-03
Name: rc
Subject:  making soft chappati
To make good chappati
1.use mp chakki atta
2.use only water
3.kneed it with the addition of little water time to time.more u kneed more softness u get.dough should be soft by adding little more water but should not sticky.
4.apply little oil on outer dough so that it retain its moisture for long time
5.dont immediately make chappati from fresh dough as it devlope crackes on sides.
6.flame should not be low.
7.last not least apply oil or ghee on chappati to retain its softness for long time.

Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2008-02-29
Name: singh
Subject:  soft dough
Making soft dough for roti. No tricks are involved. It is just practice. Like in half kilo of wheat flour, you can add one glass of water and start kneading it, if you feel, you can add water in small quantity. After forming dough, you can put it side under a wet cloth for a while. Knead it again for water wet palms and you will find the difference. No need to add milk or butter etc.
Singh
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2007-11-10
Name: rekha
Subject:  soft dough
I had difficulty making soft dough but over time have learnt a few tricks.
Mix warm water and milk, add to flour little by little and keep kneading it. then add oil, knead further. let it sit for 30minutes before u start to make the chappatis. Also cover with wet cloth while is sits.

2007-09-27
Name: darshana
Subject:  the best rotis of all!!
hi priya

i canunderstand ur predicament.but u know if u have never seen anyone making rotis ,then u cant make them good,wotever u do.the best thing for u to do is learn them from someone who u think is really good at making rotis.whoever it maybe.u shd never b afraid to learn something u dont know.it mt b ur north indian neighbour or ur son' s friends mom also.ask someone to teach u or show u how to make it.i am telling u this bcos thats how i learn to make things.once u see how to do it,u will know the trick and then ur son will praise u too!!!i hope u will do this.dont do it for anyone else,do it for urself.take care and dont fret!!!!

2007-08-06
Name: priya
Subject:  hai
thanks to all.. i ll tyr out..

2007-08-06
Name: Megha
Subject:  oh yes !!
i agree..
the recipe is so simple(we eat it almost everyday) but still involves so many steps to have the perfect ones!

2007-08-06
Name: ashwini
Subject:  Hi
adding to above both idaes...
After making chapatis..U just put them in a good clean cloth. and then in a pot.

2007-08-06
Name: megha
Subject:  ghee
just to add to the above..spread ghee evenly on the chapati including the edges. that will help to keep them soft for a longer time. good luck!

2007-08-06
Name: deepa
Subject:  hi
hi

first of all buy good atta like MP atta or any good atta. knead it with simple water, but not cool, knead it very soft, and always keep it in airtight container in fridge.

make sure while rolling that it is rolled symmetrically.

initally the flame should be high, like to warm the tava, then it should be medium, first put it on tava wait for 1 min then turn it again wait for 1 min and then put directly on the flame with the raw side down.

chaptis are good when u make with fresh kneaded flour. best of luck

All tips on Food Talk
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
pls help me in mkg chappathis

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Food Talk
& Answers to Topic :

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Food Talk
& Answers to Topic :

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Expecting Parents
Parents of Babies
Last 7 Posts of this Board
RE:Hello anyone from kakinada
Hi i am hearing this place for the very first time. However, if you are fine you can surely share the information with us we will help you out if at all we can in some or the other ways.... - Brahmi [View Message]
RE:first time egg eater
Hi with time you will be able to eat it. During the start you will face trouble. Or else tell doctor to provide you some other option rather than egg. something in veg itself which will stay helpful for you.... - Manju [View Message]
RE:What are you makin today for dinner
Hi Riya, not yet decided here in dubai we have weekend today so might be going out with family for dinner. Most of the people here go for dinner ith their family on thursdays to enjoy the weekend.... - Beejal [View Message]
RE:Hello anyone from kakinada
I have heard the name kakinada for the very first time in my life and i am sorry if i offended anyone but why can you now share it with other people too? What is it about and is it very important?... - Kanak [View Message]
If you want to gain weight then you should not worry about it and eat 2 whole eggs everyday in any form like boiled or omelet. Too much of anything even if healthy, is not right and you should eat everything in limits. ... - Hardika [View Message]
RE:What are you makin today for dinner
I did not make anything special today. Only my daughter was going to be home for lunch so i just made some jeera tadka rice and kidney beans. My daughter loves kidney beans and can eat it everyday without any complain.... - NN [View Message]
There are 2 types of cholesterol and one need to have the knowledge about what is good and what is not to be healthy. The yellow part of the egg has cholesterol but the good one and you don't need to worry if you eat limited eggs.... - NN [View Message]