• Hyderabad
  • Ghaziabad
  • Chandigarh
  • Ahmedabad
  • Kolkata
  • Chennai
  • Coimbatore
  • Jaipur
You are here: Home > Message Boards > Parents of Babies >  Health Issues >Watery eyes
Please do not give any personal information or money to anyone advertising anything on these boards. We do not endorse or support any of these claims or advertisements. To report abuse, click here.
  Health Issues: Watery eyes
Name: zabin H
Date: 2006-10-01
Hi my 4 month old baby has one watery eye. It looks like as though he was crying. It just started does anyone know why this happens or how can i treat it??? Please help
Thanks
Name: Hetal
Subject:  hi
Date: 2006-10-01
if this continues for one more day, take him to dr. keep wiping your baby eyes with wipe of normal but filtered water(that you drink)...best is to use 100% cotton ball or wipe, put in water and squeeze it firmly with your hands removing the water from the cotton ball/wipe and then wipe your baby eyes frequently every 2-3hours,,keep doing it,,if this continues further for a day, take him to dr without ne delays.
good luck
Reply to Original Message   Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

Name: anita
Subject:  zabin
Date: 2006-10-07
my son had same problem. but we found out that he was allergic to dreft detergent and perfume that my dh was using.we stopped using that, he was fine. but then he started getting watery eyes because of dry air.
he had it in both the eyes.his eyes used to get red and watery.
in your first post you have written you wash your baby eyes with warm water and hetal message was clear that cool water has to be used. it helps somewhat in itching and burning sensation.my dr told me the same thing to do whenever my baby used to get watery eyes.cool humidifier helps when water is coming from eyes due to dryness in eyes and not because of masala frying.i use it during winters because my son is sensitive to dry air that comes from heater. it helps a lot.

i really understand your tensions.believe me i was in the same position a year ago. my son is allergic to harsh detergents and now dry air. i should be helping you but myself, I am looking for a permanent cure of these allergies.
please take your baby to your dr.I will pray he gets better soon.
Msg Objection   Go to Top

Subject:  hi
hope he gets better soon.
whenever ne frying etc is done, try to keep windows and all open until its gone..
would love to hear your baby updates,
take care,,hope he gets better soon.

Name: zabin
Subject:  Watery eyes
Date: 2006-10-06
Name: Hetal
Subject: ??????????????????????
well, it was expected to wipe with cool or atleast normal temperature water..for ne eyes,,,may it be infant or adult..i did mention the water that you drink,,you drink warm water ??? YES THATS WHAT I USED..HIS EYE KEEP WATERING AFTER SOMETIMES WHEN HE IS AWAKE..ONLY ONE EYE HAS THIS PROBLEM..IT GETS A LITTLE STICKY AND I WIPE IT CLEAN BUT NO YELLOW DISCHARGE

and what your dr said is true,it might be the cause,,but if the tear ducts are small, they are expected to open up by the end of 5-6th month,,,
also, byt the times infants eyes are opened totally, their eyes and crying is to the extent his own body can handle..and if its overload of tears means that your baby is crying more than he should ! is that the case ???
NO HE IS A CALM BABY AND DOESNT REALLY CRY
other reasons of watery eyes is a sign of cold or cough so may be,, its on the way.
also watery eyes are caused by ne allergy in your house..check on changing his detergent, or avoid using ne kind of harsh chemicals in your house,,also avoid ne scents or perfumes,,or ne home scents...
also use of cool mist humidifier might help...
POSSIBLY THIS IS THE REASON BECAUSE MY MIL DOES ALOT OF FRYING , ONIONS MASALAS AND WE HAVE HOME SCENTS ON IN BATHROOMS...ETC BUT WE ALSO HAVE A COOL HUMIDFIER IN THE ROOM
also watery eyes are the sign of season change or dry atmosphere inside the house ! continuous airconditioning or contant use of heater,,makes the air dry which makes your eyes dry and to make your eye get enough liquid,,itts a natural process that ducts release water or what we call is tears...so might be that case,,check on it !!
sometimes a strong tadka or frying of spices like onion,garlic,chillies,grinding masalas and such also causes watery eyes,,its not needed for one to be in the kitchen,,its strength is good enough in entire house,,,
so for ne dry air, keep air circulation in your house fresh and keep your baby room well ventilated...

does he have watery eyes all the time ?? like continuous, or just once a while ?? or just aftersomes he had cried badly ??? YES HIS ONE EYE WATERS EVENTUALLY ALL TIME HE IS WAKE..SOMETIMES IT LOOKS IT HAS SETTLED BUT AFTER A WHILE IT STARTS AGAIN..HE HARDLY CRIES SO I DOUBT THAT COULD BE THE REASON
what is the duration of watery eyes ??
ITS BEEN A WEEK NOW AND IT HASNT IMPROVED
other than that i dont see nething else that can happen to 4month old baby...rest like i said until 5-6months many baby eyes were not opened yet or matured yet enough to function well,,so nthing much we can try on such an infant organ...
in case the baby eyes get red or swollen,or that he seems to be itchy,,tries to touch his eyes by hands,,,,take him to dr,,he might have an eye infections//often seasonal...
I WILL DO THAT I WILL VISIT THE DOCTOR AGAIN NEXT WEEK IF IT DOESNT SEEM TO GET BETTER..I AM QUITE WORRIED ABOUT IT THOUGH MY DOC SAYS IT SHOULD BE FINE...ALSO MY DOC MENTIONED THAT TO MASSAGE HIM BEWEEN HIS EYES THAT COULD HELP BUT I AM JUST A BIT NERVOUS OF DOING THAT..I WILL TRY THAT SOFTLY TOO...

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE I APPRECIATE IT

Subject:  ??????????????????????
Date: 2006-10-06
well, it was expected to wipe with cool or atleast normal temperature water..for ne eyes,,,may it be infant or adult..i did mention the water that you drink,,you drink warm water ???

and what your dr said is true,it might be the cause,,but if the tear ducts are small, they are expected to open up by the end of 5-6th month,,,
also, byt the times infants eyes are opened totally, their eyes and crying is to the extent his own body can handle..and if its overload of tears means that your baby is crying more than he should ! is that the case ???

other reasons of watery eyes is a sign of cold or cough so may be,, its on the way.
also watery eyes are caused by ne allergy in your house..check on changing his detergent, or avoid using ne kind of harsh chemicals in your house,,also avoid ne scents or perfumes,,or ne home scents...
also use of cool mist humidifier might help...

also watery eyes are the sign of season change or dry atmosphere inside the house ! continuous airconditioning or contant use of heater,,makes the air dry which makes your eyes dry and to make your eye get enough liquid,,itts a natural process that ducts release water or what we call is tears...so might be that case,,check on it !!
sometimes a strong tadka or frying of spices like onion,garlic,chillies,grinding masalas and such also causes watery eyes,,its not needed for one to be in the kitchen,,its strength is good enough in entire house,,,
so for ne dry air, keep air circulation in your house fresh and keep your baby room well ventilated...

does he have watery eyes all the time ?? like continuous, or just once a while ?? or just aftersomes he had cried badly ???
what is the duration of watery eyes ??

other than that i dont see nething else that can happen to 4month old baby...rest like i said until 5-6months many baby eyes were not opened yet or matured yet enough to function well,,so nthing much we can try on such an infant organ...
in case the baby eyes get red or swollen,or that he seems to be itchy,,tries to touch his eyes by hands,,,,take him to dr,,he might have an eye infections//often seasonal...

Name: Zabin
Subject:  Watery Eyes---Hetal pl help
Date: 2006-10-06
Hi Hetal,
Thanks for your response. I did take him to the doctor and he said that it happens due to the tear ducts being small and overload of tears. He said not to worry as it will pass.

Although i do clean his eyes as you mentioned with cotton balls and warm water to keep it clean. But its been 6 days and no improvement....now what should i do

All tips on Parents of Babies
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
Watery eyes

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Last 7 Posts of this Board
VUR
Hi Sona

Sorry, to hear about your son getting diagnosed with VUR. I hope he is fine now.

I work in the healthcare industry and I am talking to parents of children who are suffering or have suffered from VUR. To understand parents perspective on the condition and what help and support you require. Kindly let me know, if you would be willing to shar... - A [View Message]
Reply to A
Dear A,

It is a pleasant surprise to see a reply on this thread after many years. I completely forgot about the same. Well My son is absolutely fine now.
- We gave him 1 dose of antibiotic daily at bedtime for a year.
- Based on Doc suggestion, We circumcised also but now we feel that we should not go for this process.
- Whenever he had fever... - Sona [View Message]
VUR
Hi Sona

Thank you very much for your prompt response.
That is great and wonderful to know that he is absolutely fine now.
Would you like to discuss this further especially the day to day impact this diagnosis had on your son' s life and yours.
Would really appreciate if you could share further.

Best Regards
A... - A [View Message]
thumbguards
use thumbguards...cotton made stuff...was effective for my daughter. can look for website like quikr or olx... - Geeta [View Message]
thanks
Thanks Anita and Nandini... - pushsneha [View Message]
Cradle cap home remedy
Hi to remove cradle cap for my daughter i massaged petroleum jelly allover head over night and in morning after shampooing her hair, combed thru wet hair. all dried flakes would come out. Tried this regularly for a week and whole of cradle cap was cleared. ... - Anita [View Message]
Anterior Displaced Anus
Hi,
I just read your post on anterior displaced anus. I too have a 5 month daughter, who has this. Till now, her anal functions are normal and she has regular bowel movements. Whatever your doc told you, same is told to us.

Was just curious to know, what did you do. Did you got the corrective surgery done?

Please repond, I am bit worried.Rajesh [View Message]

Used Car Salesman Video