• Hyderabad
  • Ghaziabad
  • Chandigarh
  • Ahmedabad
  • Kolkata
  • Chennai
  • Coimbatore
  • Jaipur
You are here: Home > Message Boards > The Baby Club >  Baby Club April-June 2005 >is ragi okay for a 7 month old
Please do not give any personal information or money to anyone advertising anything on these boards. We do not endorse or support any of these claims or advertisements. To report abuse, click here.
  Baby Club April-June 2005: is ragi okay for a 7 month old
Name: gunjan agarwal
Date: 2006-01-23
my daughter is 7 months old and her diet currently includes, (rice+dal+veg)khichdi, bananas and apple and sometimes sooji kheer (prepared like rice cereal) .
she is not quite keen on eating her khichdi these days hence i'm looking for food alternatives. also is it okay to start her on ragi based foods. I was looking for recipes including the same.
Name: kirti
Subject:  very good
Date: 2006-02-14
ragi is very healthy n nutritious for babies. doc also r priscribing. take ragi soke overnight n then sprout them. dry it on a cloth for one full day (not in sun) then dry roast it. once it is cool grind it to fine powder. this u can make like porridge with milk n suger or salt n water.
Reply to Original Message   Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

Name: AnanyaMom
Subject:  Ragi is good
Date: 2006-01-28
Ofcourse u can. Ragi is v good for babies but ppl say it cud either cause cold or delay recovery from cold in babies... am not sure.
I have been giving my baby Ragi porridge since she was in her 5th month. She really likes it. I am still continuing with it. I generally stop it for some days when she develops a cold...
Making a porridge is v simple.... Take 2-3 spoons of ragi powder & put little water in it. Then seive it. Take the decotion & add milk. (I have not started giving cow's milk so I use NAN instead.) Then add water & boil in low flame for atleast for 5-7 mins. If u want, u can add some sugar. (I dont. NAN makes it a little sweet. Its best to avoid sugar.) Then once u r through, add little ghee. U can start with a watery consistency and then make it thicker after 3-4 days when ur baby starts accepting it well.

Hope this helps.
Reply to Original Message   Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

Name: Minka
Subject:  Don´ t cook with NAN !
Date: 2007-05-17
I think you should check with your doctor about cooking with NAN . I heard ( from Hetal and other articles ) that formula is best when at lukewarm temperature ( that´ s what it says on tin ). If you heat it up , you lose some of the nutrition and there may be adverse chemical reaction I think. Please check .

The alternative is to cook ragi with a lil water and boil it and after cooling to room temp, add nan to it.

Anyway, here´ s my recipe for ragi porridge - I used to soak ragi seeds overnight in water. I used 2 spoon ( cerelac tin type ) of seeds when my kid was 1.5 ( started with half spoon when he was 5 months old ). In the morning , I grind in mixie with a lil water ( grind first with very lil water till it´ s crushed , then add more water and grind ). I strain this , add milk ( I used cow´ s milk ) and some crystal sugar (kalkanda in Tamil - relieves constipation compared to sugar ) . then put it on flame on medium , keep stirring ( if you stop , it will form lumps). it will boil and give a nice aroma - shiny pink paste. Cool it down ( place in a shallow vessel with water for fast cooling ) . Add some ghee when it´ s hot if your child has started ghee. It´ s healthy - my son is two and now he takes mixed kanji mix called manna mix . He has it around 4 PM and it keeps him filled until 7.30 PM or so .

Bye
Minka
Msg Objection   Go to Top

All tips on The Baby Club
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
is ragi okay for a 7 month old

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Last 7 Posts of this Board
reply for not eating
this is absolutely normal and it may happen in the later stage that they just refuse to eat even for many days as my son does he just refuses to eat even for a week....if the child is happy n playful leave him/her...nagging will make them very arrogant. i know it is difficultbut what do v do?...its fine
... - disha [View Message]
Don´ t cook with NAN !
I think you should check with your doctor about cooking with NAN . I heard ( from Hetal and other articles ) that formula is best when at lukewarm temperature ( that' s what it says on tin ). If you heat it up , you lose some of the nutrition and there may be adverse chemical reaction I think. Please check .

The alternative is to cook ragi with a lil water and... - Minka [View Message]
diapers
lido is fine and rates are reasonable too... - veera [View Message]
Baby Club April-June 2005
Connect with other parents of babies born in April, May and June 2005. Discuss your baby's growth progress, eating problems... even maid issues, with others who are going through the same. Find support, encouragement and advice right here, in the IndiaParenting Baby Club! ... - Editor [View Message]
eating pains
my doll baby --oishee- is 24 months now .... she is all smiles baby . the only time she cries is while eating . oflate its becoming an experience everyday to make her eat . she simply does not eat anything ( meals) and has to be persuaded for more than an hour everytime ( morning , noon , afternoon , anf evening ) she is given a tiffin / meal to eat . she is healthy ( wt =... - Chandan Chatterjee [View Message]
hi anitha
hi
have same problem with my 19 months old daughter who is just 8 kgs now. try feeding slowly. concentrate on rice more. you need not grind rice, jus cook it well and offer with rasam or some other liquid.

I did a mistake of giving her too much high caloried food when she was since her 13 month.that made her immunity too much down and she has become to... - kruthi [View Message]
Playschool around Marathalli
Hi,

Can anybody give me info abot neat and clean playgroup around Marathalli, bangalore? I would also like to know what is the age criteria for playschool!

regards,
Chanda ... - chanda [View Message]

Funny Video on Safe Driving Video