You are here: Home > Message Boards > Parents of Babies >  Sleeping >Visiting India soon

Sleeping:Visiting India soon
2006-11-18
Name: Tanya Hello all,

This is my first time posting on this website. My husband, one year old son and I will be visiting India for seven weeks, starting mid-December. We will spend a few weeks in Varanasi, and a few weeks in Cochin, Kerala.

I am from the US, and have a couple of questions. First, are disposable diapers available in Varanasi and Cochin? How much do they cost? Second, my baby is now drinking regular milk. Is there such a thing as powdered milk for babies in India? I think this would be helpful, because we will be staying in hotels with no refrigeration available.

Also, I have cloth diapers to use if needed. Would you recommend using these instead of disposaables?

Thank you so much for your help.
Subscribe to this conversation Reply Anonymously

2006-12-24
Name: seema joshi
Subject:  hello
hello tanya
dont worry , in india u can get powdered milk and diaper of hugies brand
on any medical shop
it will be safe and secure to buy them from medical store
bye seema
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2006-11-29
Name: mom2006
Subject:  Travelling with infants
I took my a year and half son to India 2 yrs ago. I took packaged milk available at Kroger or Publix. It was priced around $2 for 3 boxes and it does not need to be refrigerated.
Or you can take evaporated milk powder. however, i would suggest have the baby get used to evaporated milk right in US for a few weeks so he/she does not have any problem to taking that milk in India. Diapers are not a problem to get in India. I would suggest do all your diapers shopping just before you reach Varanasi etc. from an urban city. Also, I gave malaria shots to my son before we went there and some medicine to take every week. Nowadays every household and hotel has a filter system or otherwise I would suggest get a filter from India. I hope this helps and have a wonderful journey. I am sure you will love your trip in India
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2006-11-19
Name: Manju
Subject:  Hi
Hi Tanya

I have been to cochin .You get every babies stuff in margin free super markets.I suggest you carry few diapers & milk powder for a weeks supply till then you can find good stores & purchase from there.But please make sure you have a good mosquito repellent in Cochin I used All Out.I have two kids age 1 & 4.In cochin there r good hotels they even sterlise feeding bottles,provide boiled water,etc.I think this will do

Manju

2006-11-20
Name: Tanya
Subject:  Thank you!
Manju,

Thank you so much for your advice. It is good to hear from someone who has been to Cochin. I figured that since we will be in major cities, the stores will have what I need, but it is nice to know for sure. I will take some extra milk powder with us. Thanks again!
Msg Objection   Go to Top

2006-11-20
Manju,

Thank you so much for your advice. It is good to hear from someone who has been to Cochin. I figured that since we will be in major cities, the stores will have what I need, but it is nice to know for sure. I will take some extra milk powder with us. Thanks again!

2006-11-19
Name: vina
Subject:  i m sorry
hii tanya
i just feel soo bad by what i have written..u r sooo sweet instead of saying two three bad words to me u have said sorry,, which really makes me feel guilty.. i m extremely sorry and i beg for ur forgiveness,,, u r a gr8 woman i have got that from ur reply.. ur r a superb lady.. u know i m just having sooo many probs after my marriage tht my personality...... oh my god i have lost my head...
do accept my apologies and dear sheena learn somthing from tanya.... just look at her.. me and u shud learn from her... if i was wrong in posting that rude reply u wr none the less... in using slightly offending language... think b4 talkin... and tanya i wish u have a gr8 holiday but do try to keep ur baby covered coz the weather is not gud at present.. mk sure u carry little more baby formula so that u dont have to buy immediately from india..regarding nappies u will get dont worry..also ur baby is one yr now..do try to potty train him if possible..mk sure u tk everything to the airport coz babies tend to be a bit scared of public and noisy places..do carry some toys.. and dont forget to carry some meal for ur cutie pie..and the biggest of things ..u r going to india after a long time mk sure u be safe while shopping coz over thr at times ppl dont c n mess up things..n let me confess my name is not vina...i cant tell my real name coz i m embarrased of my mistake..
do try to book a hotel with refrigerator and heater.. i know its cold but still refrigerator is a must when u go wiht a child.. and same applies to the heater..
u enjoy and tell me if u need some help on any other issue
do forgive me
byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2006-11-20
Subject:  I forgive you
I do forgive you. I am sorry that you have had so many problems after your marriage. I have a wonderful husband, but even in the best of marriages, there are challenges to face.

Thank you for your advice. I truly appreciate it. Have a great day!

2006-11-19
Name: sheena
Subject:  too bad
vina 's reply iz too bad....if u can answer any mommy's question answer it..otherwise shutup n get lost...thiz iz not ata ll fair.did she asked anyhting worng or did she said that varanasi iz a poor state n india iz a dungeon country...dunt add mirchi masala to the queries...try to grow up..poor girl tanya.

2006-11-20
Subject:  Hello
Hi Sheena,

I appreciate your support of me. I was a little scared off at first, since this is my first time posting, but now I feel welcome. Thank you!

2006-11-19
Name: Aparna
Subject:  Visit to India
Hi,

Don't worry at all. We get everything in India, but if u can get some for inital days. My daughter- who was 13 months when we visited India for the first time had no problem, but mostly she was on formula. I used to use Enfaml, when we get in India for aboy 600 bucks. The diapers are good but thick, we get gerber food too in stores in few selected stores. But since I started my kid on rice and dal I did not use gerber in India. I hope I amswered your questions. Don't worry about anything come to India and enjoy your trip.

2006-11-20
Thank you, Aparna. I will take your advice and pack some extra formula for the initial days, until I am able to find a store to purchase food at. If you think of any other suggestions for me, I would love to hear them.

2006-11-19
Name: vina
Subject:  what r u talking man???
heilo
i stay in the uk and i m really surprised by ur question u have asked.. r u nuts??? firstly varanasi is not some third rated place..u can get a-z stuff for babies..any branded nappies.. and same applies to mil..it doesnt mean u stay in the US u just think that god knows india is like nothing..
if u think like this, y r u coming to india..stay in US. PLZ DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE UR HOME COUNTRY..and if u r more only typical american.,.cant u afford a hotel with a refrigerator,,
huhuhuhu
come on pay some money....

2006-11-19
Subject:  Im sorry...
I hope I did not offend you. I am an American, who loves India and the Indian people. I have been to India three times before, but did not have a child, so I did not pay attention to things such as nappies and milk. I have never been to Cochin, and only spent a few days in Varanasi on my last trip. I just want to be well prepared with taking a baby. Again, I am so sorry if I have offended anyone. I just sincerely wanted some advice.

Thank you.

All tips on Parents of Babies
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
Visiting India soon

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Parents of Babies
& Answers to Topic :
Visiting India soon

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Parents of Babies
& Answers to Topic :
Visiting India soon

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Expecting Parents
Parents of Babies
Last 7 Posts of this Board
RE:How to Develop a Sleep Routine for your Newborn
Hey dear i will agree with you and will also suggest you to follow this pattern and this is really good to see that you are following such good things, keep posting such good ideas really feeling happy for you and for your kid as well.All the best dear.... - Anaida [View Message]
According to me this is good but then you cannot force your child to sleep as per your wish as kids as really bad in this and they have a tendency to sleep in day and get up in late night so according to me this is not the key to success, please post if i am wrong.... - Anita [View Message]
Hi dear this is good to see that you are taking so much care about your kid but then is your kid following this pattern as my kid has a very odd hours sleep and wake up timings and by that we all get affected as my husband is having morning shifts so its very difficult.... - Anu [View Message]
Hi dear if this is the case i will surely try this and will post you the feedback after a week of this as what was the changes we will see, thank you for sharing such good ideas god bless you as well your kid with good health thanks a ton dear.... - Suman [View Message]
Hello dear based on your post i feel to try to the same in my house and see the results as we are having twins and its very difficult and we feel some times so helpless that we are left frustrated and it happens very often, thanks for the post dear.... - Sujata [View Message]
Hi dear this is good to see that you are having some changes in your child sleep pattern as here i cannot see any changes after trying all your methods but nothing changed, please share if you have any other methods as well as it can surely me a lot.... - Shikha [View Message]
Hi dear what a lovely though of sharing this i am sure you are good soul and want to help out other parents as well, please do continue the good work and will love to see more from you dear. Thanks making this platform working so good really great work.... - Seema [View Message]