You are here: Home > Message Boards > Expecting Parents >  Health Concerns >Understanding cord blood banking

Health Concerns:Understanding cord blood banking
2008-07-02
Name: Editor Are you aware about cord blood banking? Do you think it is worth to preserve the stem cells? Would you go for it?
Subscribe to this conversation Reply Anonymously

2010-05-26
Name: Anupam Agrawal
Subject:  Stem cell banking
I just want to share some knowledge with you all. May be it could benefit you all.
Stem cells are unspecialized cells that have two defining properties: the ability to differentiate into other cells and the ability to self-regenerating.
Stem cells can be found in different places. And just where you get your stem cells from can make all the difference as to their potential.
1. Embryonic Stem Cells
2. Bone Marrow
3. Peripheral Blood Stem Cells
4. Cord Blood Stem Cells
Cord blood stem cells hold great potential in treating a wide number of diseases and disorders. Cord blood stem cells are actually much more primitive than bone marrow or peripheral stem cells. These stem cells are taken from umbilical cord blood shortly after birth once the umbilical cord has been cut, a nurse or doctor can drain the blood from the cord. This blood can then be frozen and stored privately or donated to public cord blood banks. When it is needed, the stem cells are thawed and ready to use in stem cell therapy.
Some treatable diseases are
Research on Stem cell therapy has shown that these could be used to treat more than 75 life-threatening diseases. Some of these include
• Cancers: Many cancers including: Acute and Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
• Blood Disorders: Thalessemia, Sickle Cell Disease, Fanconi' s Anemia
• Immuno Deficiencies: Kostmann Syndrome, Omenn' s Syndrome, Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID)
• Familial Disorders: Breast Cancer
• Musculoskeletal Connective Tissue Disorders: Osteopetrosis
• Metabolic/Storage Disorders: Hunter' s Disease, Leukodystophies

Future Potential

Scientists are predicting that in the near future the collection of cord blood at birth will be nearly as common as birth itself. More than the existing uses of cord blood stem cells, research indicates that these stem cells someday may be used to treat numerous other diseases including

• Alzheimer' s Disease

• Cartilage Regeneration

• Diabetes

• Heart Disease

• Liver Disease

• Multiple Sclerosis

• Muscular Dystrophy

• Spinal Cord Injury

• Stroke

So it is a request to all pregnant ladies to get the stem cells preserved as it is vital for your family' s health.

Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2010-06-05
Name: sneha
Subject:  cord stem cells banking
nice collation, thanks. actually i am right now in a searching spree as to which bank to go for....can any1 guide me on how to choose the best?
Msg Objection   Go to Top

2008-07-02
Name: Sandra
Subject:  save cells… save future
When I found out that I am pregnant I decided that I am going to preserve the stem cells from the blood of the umbilical cord of my baby. I decided to do so because we have family history with diseases. I did not want to take a chance so I contacted a public blood bank. I accomplished all the formal procedures. Today my mind is at peace that I opted for stem cell preservation. Before going for it does a thorough research by yourself so that you will know all the facts about the blood stem cell banking.
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2010-04-23
Name: Sunanda
Subject:  cord blood banking
Choose a banking compnay which also does stem cell therapy. As of now i find only international stem cell services (ISSL) doing that.

2008-07-02
Name: Rituparna
Subject:  secure your future
I work at a hospital in the research department. We need to study about researches that going on in the vast field of science, human anatomy and medicines. Time to time we studied about stem cell banking, cloning, stem cell research, and history of stem cell, process of stem cell, pros and cons of stem cell research, disadvantages and controversies regarding the stem cell research, facts about stem cell banking, stem cell transplants and lot more. There are thousands of topics related to blood banking. In my studies I found out that cord blood banking is a great way to secure your future. I think couple who are planning a baby should simultaneously do a research on cord blood banking.

2008-07-02
Name: Kayla
Subject:  go for it
In some countries, blood stem banking in the private banks in costly. But it is a good investment. In case you have family history of diseases it is a good option. Some years later you would not like to regret that you did not preserve the blood from the umbilical cord and choose to discard it like that. No one can predict the future. We do insurance out lives, out homes and our automobiles by buying life insurances. Saving your child’s stem cells is nothing but a health insurance. I think it is a great thing. Science has been progressing day by day. We should embrace the progress.

2016-05-11
Name: adhir
Subject:  RE:go for it
yeah it is!

All tips on Expecting Parents
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
Understanding cord blood banking

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Expecting Parents
& Answers to Topic :

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Expecting Parents
& Answers to Topic :

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Expecting Parents
Parents of Babies
Last 7 Posts of this Board
RE:Gynaec in Noida
Hey dear please tell me what is the exact problem and why are you looking for the doctor as myself a gynac and will try to solve your issue here itself if its a minor one, please do share your contact details and will get back to you for sure.... - Anita [View Message]
According to me Dr Nisha is the best doctor for gynacs as she is very old practitioner and you will feel good once you will visit her and i am sure that everything will be alright so please do not think and call her for an appointment.... - Anaida [View Message]
Hello dear according to me you should not think so much and you should just search on internet by putting your area details so that you can easily find a good doctor and by this you will get to know who is the best doctor for you and can start treatment.... - Anu [View Message]
Hello dear i am not from Noida but from Gurgaon and here we have many good doctors and if you want then you scan surely come here and get yourself treated please reply if you are really looking for the treatment and you will get the solution for the same.... - Aditi [View Message]
Hi there i can understand the importance of a good doctor as had a really bad experience with a male doctor, please according to me you should only go if the doctor is female and i am sure you are understanding what i am trying to say here.... - Anushree [View Message]
Hi dear please share me what is the problem or you can also contact me by sending me your contact details and one of my team member will get back to you for sure, please let us know your contact details so that we can move ahead from here.... - Suman [View Message]
Hello dear according to me you should not think so much and just relax and just visit few of the doctors in your area and then decide which is the best for you, because everyone will have their own personal reviews which might differ person to person.... - Sujata [View Message]