You are here: Home > Message Boards > Parents of Babies >  Breastfeeding >Inverted nipples

Breastfeeding:Inverted nipples
2006-09-07
Name: Mommy Hi,

Just wanted to know has any mom with inverted nipples exclusively breastfed your baby. I have the same problem and was unsuccessful with my first baby. Tried nipple shield/ pumps . But was of no use. Please share your experiences.

Thanks in advance !
Subscribe to this conversation Reply Anonymously

2006-09-08
Name: Mommy
Subject:  Thanks a ton
Hetal,

Thanks a ton for your message. The message was intended to me and please don't bother to mind unncessary words from ignorant people.
Thanks once again and keep up the good work!
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2006-09-08
Name: anita
Subject:  girls
leave it girls.mom is someone who is deadly jealous of hetal and did not succeed in helping anyone here.
its clear from the way that a simple thing does not get into her trashy brain.so she is running like a mad dog.
no worth of sitting with geeta before a donkey.
Reply to Original MessageReply to Original Message   Reply to Original Message Reply to This Message   Msg Objection   Go to Top

2006-09-08
Name: nupur
Subject:  mom
you are a real sick person. you have no validity in your accusations. stop wasting your time in passing the same nasty comments on some one who has helped. rather spend some good time with your family. you will be alot happier.

2006-09-08
Name: Neha
Subject:  Mom again
are you drunk or out of your mind.

you are really a sick lady and a silent reader just trying to malign everyone here. you have no other source of information so you are shouting like mad woman for absolutely nothing.

saavya is right. when people post their questions here they dont ask for source but they expect replies. it seems to me that you are aarti.i remember very much reading your reply to someone when you said you are competing with Hetal.and finally you ended up advicing people your generation old idli batters.and everyone knocked you down.

now when you are caught with nothing and you yourself have not understood what she has mentioned, so you are again complaining like child crying to getting attention.stop cribbing for the same thing, you looked stupid.you accusations are not valid.

poor you, i pity you.you need some rehab.

2006-09-08
Subject:  Mom again
are you drunk or out of your mind.

you are really a sick lady and a silent reader just trying to malign everyone here. you have no other source of information so you are shouting like mad woman for absolutely nothing.

saavya is right. when people post their questions here they dont ask for source but they expect replies. it seems to me that you are aarti.i remember very much reading your reply to someone when you said you are competing with Hetal.and finally you ended up advicing people your generation old idli batters.and everyone knocked you down.

now when you are caught with nothing and you yourself have not understood what she has mentioned, so you are again complaining like child crying to getting attention.stop cribbing for the same thing, you looked stupid.you accusations are not valid.

poor you, i pity you.you need some rehab.

2006-09-08
Name: saavya
Subject:  get off your butt
get off your butt out of here. what hetal said is right, you will write no matter what she explains.
i thought after reading all this you will have some common sense to put to use.
you are a sick person and have absolute no sense in writing.
dont you understand english. i have gone thru the post and i have replied.
you be kind enough to get off your butt out of here.
it is not necessary at all for anyone to mention the source unless its requested by poster.

let me cut and paste your words. poster has not asked specifically about the source but requires information. she has mentioned in many others posts about the various sites and informations.
what Hetal should do or not do is none of your shits business.

2006-09-08
Name: MOm
Subject:  Mention source right in the beginning
Hetal should have mentioned Laleche in her first post itself. She mentioned it only because I asked for the source. That way the person could have referred to the website directly.

All of you KINDLY go through posts from the past where she has cut and pasted.

2006-09-08
Name: supu
Subject:  mom
i dont understand what difference does it make to you. whatever hetal is doing is her issues why are you so much concerned. you are a very nosy person.hetal is doing more than expected by replying to this site without charging anything that too in a very detailed way. i am student of internal medicine but i am not able to do that.most of the times i do not care to reply.because i am not paid anything why i care. but hetal does. i appreciate her for that.
after all that efforts hetal has made in trying to solve everyone issues, i am sorry for you for thinking so mean about her.you have never helped anyone by any means and so you have no right to comment on someone who has helped and is respected by so many people here.
and i agree to everyone here, you are trying to find something to complain about hetal at watever cost you can find. even though you are looking like a fool you want to take the crown being the the best fool.
stop passing these nasty comments on someone and spend your time in some good things.
let me get you a straight, if you are not helping someone by watever efforts you have no right to comment on others who are helping.
you are unnecessarily streching the issue without any valid reasoning.
Msg Objection   Go to Top

2006-09-07
Name: saavya
Subject:  MOM
read messages properly before replying them. i definately agree to what neha said. Hetal has clearly mentioned the name of her source of information, la leche league in reply to your first post.

it is then not understood why you are saying that an expert doesnt pass off a cut and paste the job as her own.
she has clearly mentioned the name which means she has not done act of plagiarism.dont you get it what she has mentioned in her first reply to you. do you know how to read and understand.
still you are saying the same thing like a parrot that was given rotten eggs to eat.do you have a working brain or you have all smelly trash in it.
you cannot blame someone to be doing a job of plagiarism when that person has clearly mentioned the name of the actual source and her experience about its studies.
she has clearly mentioned that its her studies from the source.dont you get it.
you cannot blame hetal when you yourself are not correct in understanding what she has mentioned.

2006-09-07
Name: supu
Subject:  To MOM
mom, who are you to judge someone over here.
i am a student of internal medicine. what hetal said is very true. we are asked to get best details available on internet, books and whatever resources available on a particular topic as our practical study.
medical field is moving so fast that its needed for us to get the latest information available.sometimes we have to make visit to research centers to get the latest information. also, after doing these practical & submitting them, we dont remember where we got all that information from. its very obvious and its not asked or is not important.
and for your information we do this in every 3-6mnths depending on our specialization.imagine how many such practical studies we will be doing by the time of 5 years.

MOM do you remember the authors of your textbooks,publication name and study books publication year, in each class you studied ?
if your answer is YES, please name them to me. otherwise anyone can recite and write the same poems you learned in your school.my 3 year old sings twinkle twinkle little star still the same way you might be singing in your school.

and as to my notice,i have referred the same website nd the words are actual matter and if you are not reading other books on breastfeeding, please do it.

you will find many other books in which sentences are the actual results of the medical problems.and they cannot be altered because they are derived from direct studies.

you are mentioning only this website because for you,you think,you have found a eureka i.e. this website and you are sticking to it. you have no other validations to comments on.so you are saying cut and paste.

if you would have been able to search on the books that are breastfeeding, i will bet you that tommorrow you will come writing a list of books that had same replies to some typical standard questions.
it is surprising that you are here just to throw your shits on someone who is trying to help.

2006-09-07
Name: Hetal
Subject:  dear Mom
if you are here to observe me, neways, you are going to do it by ne means no matter what i write. well, carryon.
i appreciate people who observe me.i feel great that they have that much time to spend on me.

i clearly mentioned that i have been thru many websites as far these things are concerned and not one.
whatever i am doing is far better than what you are doing.
i am not commenting on anyone here.

secondly i am not here to make ne big difference in medical field.

third, i have mentioned clearly that whatever i have mentioned will be available almost everywhere in almost all websites.

when i read it, it was part of my study and i had to score 50 for that.so i would definately remember me.

i will not further comment on you because it seems that no matter what i write you are still going to pass on comments rather than trying to help someone.
And like it happened to aarti, you will try your best to keep commenting & creating a fuss.

someone asked, i helped according to my reach and for me THATS ALL WHERE IT ENDS.

and i am really not sure why are you unnecessary wasting your time on my comments to someone ELSE and NOT YOU.

i have my own name and whatever i do, i do it in my own name. because i am sure of what i am doing and i am not afraid of what i am doing.and if i am wrong i welcome comments on that.

if you are hiding your name, it means you arent sure that whatever you are writing is true.

hope you have a good day !

2006-09-07
Subject:  Mom you are misunderstanding things
Hetal have clearly mentioned that it was part of her study and training so i understand that there are many websites, books,studies involved in it.its a very simple thing. why are you not able to understand that.

when someone is putting query over here it is expected by everyone to share whatever they know or if it was their personal experience.even if poster has posted clearly most of us who know about the things come forward and share it. Hetal has done the same thing. it is very well understood that the person who posted the message has been unsuccessful with breastfeeding and so hetal tried to give message that there are possible different ways.

what supu said is true. if you remember who is the author of your textbooks and who is publisher of your books, then only hetal should be able to remember what she wrote was from which source.she has mentioned that its been 1 year that she learned that and you cannot expect someone to remember the source of information when the study area is huge.

mom, who taught you to write the sentences, do you remember ? if not, then you cannot expect someone to remember all the things that he got knowledge from.
did you check the post of prerna. did you read what she mentioned.
and you think that website is not copied from somewhere ? its not true.

check the source of the website, its la leche league thats what exactly hetal has mentioned in reply to your post.and if you notice the owner of the website you mentioned is Board Certified Lactation Consultant which means all her studies are from real medical books having the same answers.
and as far as i know about certified meaning,it means that they are given certification on some course that they have done, for which they have given exams.this explains the results and answers are common for everyone who answers it.
i understand one thing over here that you have misunderstood what hetal has mentioned in prely to your first post. she has clearly mentioned the name of lalecheleague and its website address to let you know more details.she has also mentioned that it was a year before that she happen to study about this and the website you mentioned was revised in 1998.i digged in further and so there is quite a possibility that when hetal studied this topic she might have studied from this site or its actual source la leche league. that is what she has mentioned clearly.

so stop making a fool of yourself. you look stupid by creating havoc out of your own misunderstanding.

if the information was wrong i would have definately supported you. but you are making a fool of yourself without reading the messages properly.

2006-09-07
Name: Mom
Subject:  Cut and paste
I am silent member of the babies board. Your advice for the food questions are good. But I responded to this because I've noticed more than once that you have used passages which do not seem like your words.

Anyone can do a cut and paste job which is what you have done. I do not object to cut and paste. But it looks as if you are passing it off as your own words. You should clearly mention that you have used someone else's writing. In short, you are doing a mild form of plagiarism. The poster had initially asked \";share your experiences\";. If you did not have personal experience that is fine. But atleast say that the following passage is what you have read and would like to share.

An expert does not pass off a cut and paste job as her own. Yes, dear. The actual matter is the same.

2006-09-07
Subject:  hi
i havent taken from ne specific source. this is all i knew about it and yes i have been thru many websites & it was part of my study with my infant training,,so its obvious the matter remains the same. there are other books on breastfeeding and also,

check for lalecheleague dot org. they have the best source available in breastfeeding.

but no matter where you refer, the actual matter is the same dear because these are studies that are derived from professional surveys and on medical backgrounds..and people like me who are studying keep studying the same matter, irrespective of where its taken from.

so it will be same in most of the articles mentioned everywhere, unless there is some new survey or a derived result that has come out and its been 1 year that i was into it, and if thats the case, i might have missed it.

2006-09-07
Subject:  Link
Hetal,

Maybe you used a different link, but here is one from which most of the sentences in your messages seem to be picked up from.

(http:)//www(.)breastfeed-essentials(.)com/invertednipples(.)html

- Mom

2006-09-07
Name: prerna
Subject:  hi
read the baby book by dr william sears and martha sears.all this is mentioned exactly in the same way.
i had problem of inverted nipples and it was solved when i visited my lactation consultant. she taught me how to latch with mouthful of breast and i could breastfeed.

i very much agree to what hetal has mentioned. my lactation consultant gave me some articles on breastfeeding with inverted nipples and the words were just the same as it was in my book.

2006-09-07
Subject:  Actual source
Hetal,

Looks like this was taken from another source. Could you kindly provide the link or author name?

- Mom

2006-09-07
Subject:  babies breastfeed and not nipple feed
Babies breastfeed, not \";nipple-feed\";, and if a baby is able to take in a good mouthful of breast, most types of inverted or flat nipples will not cause a problem during breastfeeding. However, some types of nipples are harder for the baby to latch onto, especially at first, but in most cases, patience, persistence, proper latch-on technique, and perhaps a few other helpful measures will pay off.
One type of inverted nipple, known as a dimpled or folded nipple - in which only part of the nipple is inverted - will not protrude when stimulated but can be pulled out manually with the fingers. Unfortunately, in most cases, this type of nipple will not stay pulled out and will perhaps benefit from some special treatment measures.

There also are varying degrees of nipple inversion from the slightly inverted nipple to the moderately to severely inverted, which when compressed, retracts deeply to a level even with or below the surrounding areola.

It also is not unusual for the same woman to have one flat or inverted nipple while the other nipple protrudes well, or a woman who has two flat/inverted nipples to have one that protrudes more so than the other. so you have to first make out which one you have.
While it's very important to remember that most babies who latch-on well can draw out even an inverted or flat nipple, and that a baby does not \";nipple-feed\";, there are several possible options for treating a flat/inverted nipple that may make latch-on easier for the baby. Some of these treatment measures can be employed before birth and others will want to be delayed until the baby arrives. Still others can be used as treatment options both during pregnancy and after breastfeeding has begun.

Breast shells: Breast shells, also referred to as milk cups, breast cups, or breast shields, take advantage of the natural elasticity of the skin during pregnancy by applying gentle, but constant pressure to the areola in an effort to break the adhesions under the skin that prevent the nipple from protruding. The shells are worn inside the bra, which may need to be one size larger than normal to accomodate the shell. Ideally, shells should be worn starting in the third trimester of pregnancy for a few hours each day. As the mother becomes comfortable wearing the shells, she can gradually increase the amount of time she wears them during the day. After the baby is born, these same shells can be worn about 30 minutes prior to each feeding to help draw out the nipple even more. They should NOT be worn at night and any milk collected in them should NOT be saved.

Hoffman Technique: Doing this technique several times a day may help loosen the adhesions at the base of the nipple. To employ this technique: place a thumb on each side of the base of the nipple - directly at the base of the nipple, not at the edge of the areola. Push in firmly against your breast tissue while at the same time pulling your thumbs away from each other. By doing this you will be stretching out the nipple and loosening the tightness at the base which will make the nipple move up and outward. This exercise should be repeated 5 times a day, moving the thumbs in a clockwise fashion around the nipple. It can be used during pregnancy and after baby begins breastfeeding.

Breastpump: After birth, the use of an effective breastpump can be helpful at drawing out a flat or inverted nipple immediately before breastfeeding to make latch-on easier for the baby. It also can be used at other times following delivery to help further break the adhesions under the skin by pulling the nipple out uniformly from the center.

Evert-it Nipple Enhancer: Available through La Leche League(in US), this device helps to draw out the nipple by providing uniform suction similar to that obtained with a breastpump.

Nipple stimulation: After birth, if the nipple can be grasped, a mother can roll her nipple between her thumb and index finger for a minute or two and then quickly touch the nipple with a moist, cold cloth or ice wrapped in cloth (avoid prolonged use of ice as it can inhibit the letdown reflex and numb the nipple too much).

Pulling back on the breast tissue at latch-on: As you support your breast for latch-on with thumb on top and four fingers underneath and way back against the chest wall, pull slightly back on the breast tissue toward the chest wall to help the nipple protrude.

Nipple shield: ONLY TO BE USED AS A LAST RESORT, the nipple shield is a flexible nipple made out of silicone that is placed over the mother's nipple during feedings so that latch-on is possible for the baby. To prevent the baby from becoming too addicted to nursing with the shield, it should be removed as soon as the baby is latched-on and nursing well.

The length of time during the feeding that the shield is used should also be steadily decreased. Possible problems associated with the use of nipples shields include a drop in the mother's milk supply and insufficient transfer of milk to the baby. Because of these possible risks, it is strongly recommended that you only use a nipple shield under the direct supervision of a lactation expert such as as a lactation consultant or La Leche League leader ( in US ).

It should be noted, however, that even with the possible risks of using a nipple shield, as long as the mother is aware of what to watch for, breastfeeding with a nipple shield is much more preferable to not breastfeeding!

Good Luck

Pages >>  1 

All tips on Parents of Babies
You ever wanted in one place.
No need to go anywhere else.
& Answers to Topic :
Inverted nipples

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Parents of Babies
& Answers to Topic :
Inverted nipples

Subscribe to this conversation! All tips on Parents of Babies
& Answers to Topic :
Inverted nipples

Thanks for subscribing
You are already a member, please login to subscribe

------ OR ------

Expecting Parents
Parents of Babies
Last 7 Posts of this Board
Breast milk
hello all

If any one wants breast milk for their kids, I can feed the kid directly or express the milk for kids ... - Nishita Rao [View Message]
RE:plz help
hello priti,
you should not take any tablet from now, you should take doctor consultation and after start taking tablets, its not good for your health, also you should take massage for breast regularly.... - yamini [View Message]
RE:plz help
hello priti,
you should take care of your diet, and should follow your diet strictly you should make yourself fit for your kid, your baby is too small it might be effect on your baby health too.... - rajat [View Message]
RE:ADULT BREASTFEEDING
Hi nalini, can you breast to me please.... - abhi19p [View Message]
RE:best breast feeding pumps
hello vinit,
yes you are right the medela mini electric breast pump is helpful to sucktion and its available in market the price start from 9 thousand , you should take it if you suffer from feeding problem.... - minoti [View Message]
hello friend,
the breast feeding is based on supply and demand, the more you breast feed you baby or pump while you are away from your baby and the more milk your breast will be produce so it will good thing.... - rohini [View Message]
hello friend,
the medala brand of electric breast pump is good quality and its easily get in market, its worth for baby and its like directly from breast or is slow drinker, you should enjoy your parenting days.... - archana [View Message]